𝑴𝒂𝒄 𝑻𝒊𝒓𝒆

I made my way down the carpeted steps to the bottom floor. I tilted my head upwards, trying to find my way by smell, but all the scents of the other wolves mingled together into a big, smelly mess. 

I woke up a couple hours after we had fallen asleep, and catiously slipped out of bed. Aster, still asleep, kept whining and whimpering when I tried to leave the room. I rubbed his hair gently until he settled back down and I could sneak away. Now I was wandering around the house, keeping out of the other werewolves' ways as I searched for the pups and Elaine.

I walked through a door into a kitchen. The floor was classic black and white tiles, with dark countertops and a rack hanging above the island. It wasn't too interesting, but I could smell Loki much clearer here, which meant she was nearby. I walked through another door, and nearly stumbled down a flight of stairs into a basement area. I staggered and grabbed onto the railing to keep from tumbling down the short staircase. The stairs were covered in carpet, and I could see more carpet on the bottom. I kept walking, and poked my head around the wall.

It was a cute little play area with a big TV, a lot of beanbag chairs, and a little plastic playground. There were four bunkbeds with messy blankets and pillows scattered everywhere. The kids were all gathered around Elaine in a half-circle as she read to them from a book. I couldn't imagine how horrible it had to be for the kids to not have their parents. They all had to be taken away from their homes because of some selfish werewolf. 

Elaine looked up and saw me for the first time. "Oh my!" she exclaimed.

I ducked my head sheepishly. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you-"

"Human!" shrieked Loki. She turned to a girl with similar hair to her. "Suki, this is the human we saw that night!"

Suki craned her neck around her sister, blinking at me emptily. "Him?"

I walked down the rest of the way, and was swarmed by kids once again. Elaine set the book down on her stool and clapped her hands three times. "Kids, do I have to tell Aster that you are all disobeying him? Red isn't to be bothered by you."

I smiled. "I don't mind." I scooped Loki up into my arms when she outstretched her hands to me. I ruffled her dirty blonde curls. "They're adorable. I haven't hung out with any little kids in ages, not since the ones near me grew up. I've missed babysitting them." I used my free hand to rub everyone's head in turn. Loki wrapped her chubby arms around my neck, and her legs around my waist to keep a steady grip on me. 

Elaine tilted her head. "Really? Most of the pack members don't like having all the little ones around. Including the ones that actually... turned them," she whispered to me behind her hand. None of the kids seemed to notice. Except for Suki. She stared at me blankly from her spot on the carpet. Elaine reached out a hand and helped the girl to her feet. She mumbled something to her that I shouldn't have been able to hear, but I picked up on anyways. "He won't hurt you, I swear."

I watched Suki curiously. She wasn't as energetic as the other ones, and didn't seem too interested on coming over to see me. That was fine, of course. I was occupied trying to listen to one kid at a time as they blabbered on and on.

Suki narrowed her eyes. "Loki..." she grumbled.

Her sister turned her head out of my shoulder. "Huh?"

Elaine patted Suki's shoulder. "It's alright. I trust him."

Suki nodded stiffly at me, as if giving me permission. I nodded back at her. She turned abruptly and stalked over to one of the bunk beds. She picked up a book and flopped down on her mattress. She pulled on a pair of noise-cancelling headphones and didn't look at us again.