Chapter Forty-nine

Bryson's POV ;-)

Nolan forced me–so I would call it because I had no plans to, to ask Zemela out to the winter ball.

Exams was fair, Zemela helped me study and cheat so I knew my grades were going to be better.

My dad arrived home yesterday–without my mom! Which is very rare. He was asleep by the time I came back so I couldn't see or talk to him.

"Morning son" he greeted as I sat down for my breakfast.
"Morning Mr Griffin" I forced a smile.

He let out a hearty laugh, "Griffin" he said, "I know you're upset with me, I am too, with myself of course."
"Why would I be upset?" I asked him trying to control myself, unlike Reggie I love my dad so much even though he's an asshole.

"Son" he started.
"Don't call me that" I told him.
Sighing he started again, "Griffin, I know how you feel. Or at least I think I know how you feel, you're mom and I....we haven't been really good to you, your mother is always trying to control you which shouldn't be because you're not her husband" he said.

"Are you trying to apologize?" I asked him eating my avocado toast.
"Yes son–Griffin, I am trying to apologize" he said.

"Well I don't need your apologize because I'm all grown now and I can live on my own terms, I'm eighteen Incase you forgot I'll be moving out pretty soon" I said.
"I can never forget your age. Wh...what college are you applying to?" He asked.

I knew he was here for a reason, he just wanted to convince me to study medicine so I can take over his hospital.
"That's none of your business" I said.
"Yale or Standford?" He asked, "I know you want to study business. Like your uncle" his words shocked me.

No one apart from Nolan knew what I planned on studying and I knew for a fact that Nolan wouldn't just tell my plans to my father. Though he got the schools wrongly, I wanted Harvard even though Zemela was planning to apply there, I didn't care.

I cleared my throat, "how do you know?" I stuttered.
"You're my son, I know what you want. I know you don't want to take over my hospital and I wouldn't force that you, that's the least I can do to make up for my absence in your life"
"And your wife?"

"She's in full support" he said.
When I remained quite he said, "you can come with me, I can get you an interview with the dean" he said.

"I'm not going anywhere"
"I want us, me and you, to have this Christmas to ourself, I would book a trip to Europe, only if you want to of course"

"I'm not applying to any of those schools" I said.
"Which School then?"
"Oxford" I said making him smile.
"Then that's settled, you would have a chat with the dean" he said.

"When are you leaving?" I asked him.
"When am I leaving?" He asked me.
"Yeah, when" I paused
He smiled knowing what I wanted to say, "we leave in two days time"

So he had booked the tickets already.
Two days, winter ball was in three days, not that the vacation is important or anything but, I also don't want to see Zemela on that day. I got what I wanted from her–sex, and I'm done, I proved Reggie wrong.

I also know things aren't right with her, something is going to happen and like always I wouldn't be here to face the concequeces of my action because I wouldn't be coming back not anytime soon, maybe NEVER.

~

A night before I left Knoxville, I wrote a letter to her, I didn't want to send a text message because she'd recieve it before tomorrow.

"Who are you writing to?" Fauna asked me startling me.
"No one you should concern yourself with" I said, looking up I saw Reggie standing behind her.

"What?" I asked them.
"Nothing, we would really miss you" she said.
Rolling my eyes I lied, "I'll just be gone for like two weeks"
"I'll still miss you" she pouted hugging my shoulder.
I shrugged her off, "stop being so dramatic" I said, "now if you two would excuse me I have something doing I'll meet you downstairs for dinner" I added dismissive.

"Be quick" she said walking out, I was glad she didn't argue.

Reggie's voice startled me again just when I resumed writing, "you're writing to her, aren't you?" I looked at him, I realized I hadn't seen him in a long time, he had healed pretty well.
"I'm not that heartless" I said looking away from him.
He moved closer to me, "of course you aren't. You almost killed me remember?" He joked.

"You're not coming back, are you?"
"No"
"I knew. It's a good thing you proved yourself before it was too late"
"I wasn't proving anything to anybody" I lied.
He chuckled, "of course you weren't. You haven't grown a bit man, you're still like that little boy that made that promise. Naive and innocent"

Annoyed I said, "stop talking shit"
"Okay" he raised his hands in defeat, "I'll give it to her" I looked at him then at the letter on my desk.
"I'll give her after the ball" he said.

"Make sure you two are alone" I said.
"You still trust me alone with her after the last time?" He chuckled.
"Whatever, I don't care about her" I folded the letter and handed it over to him.

I started to regret my decision while I laid on my bed and my phone rang continuously.
I picked up the third time it rang, "hey babe" I faked enthusiasm.
"Hey, I almost thought you were asleep" she said, hearing her voice made my heart beat betraying me. I felt guilty.

"No, my dad is around so we were catching up" I lied.
"Ohh... that's nice. How's he? I'm glad your mom allowed him come? He's alone right?....."She asked thousands of questions at once.
"Yes to all your questions" I said making her laugh.

I couldn't bare the guilt anymore, so I faked a yawn, "babe I'm really really sleepy now, I'll see you in a day" I said knowing quite well I wouldn't.
"Why not tomorrow?" She asked.
"My dad wants to hang out more" I said.
"Ohhh" she let out.

"Okay then, baby boy, I'll let you sleep now. Goodnight, I love you"
"I love you too" I ended the call.

Guilt ate me up, not because I was leaving without telling her or because I lied but because I knew something of mine was with her. I didn't plan it that way and I'm not man enough to bare the consequences of what I did, she doesn't know either and by the time she'll find out I'll be miles away living a new life with somebody else.

I'm sorry Zemela, it's not you, it's me.

+
I really need to know what you think 🥺

What does Bryson know that Zemela doesn't?