Chapter 4

BBC sport: (pictured above) Charles Leclerc and Pierre Gasly attend Wimbledon quarterfinals at center court. Charles could not contain public cheers for Italian native Florence Bonsee who advanced to semifinal.

FLORENCE POV:

I woke up to to a banging on my door at 10am. I knew it was only a warning to wake me up until my dad opened the door seconds later. I shifted in bed rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. My body screamed at me with every small movement.

"Bella addormentata del mattino [morning sleeping beauty]." I gave a tired smile and shifted my knees towards me while my dad sat at the end of my bed. "How's the body feel."

"Come merda [like shit]," I mumbled with a yawn.

My dad let out a chuckle and looked off. "I could only imagine. I'm very proud of the way you played yesterday. You stayed calm when you needed and got into the zone in that third set. Your mom would have been proud of your risky volley for the final point."

"Grazie papa," I said leaning forward and kissing him on the cheek. I leaned back in bed and reached for my phone.

"You know your schedule for the day, I think you'll be pleased with it."

I pulled out my phone and pulled up the text from my personal trainer, Daniel. I listed off the information. Sleep in, 11:00 recovery breakfast. 12:00 to 1:00, practice hitting and bike. 1:00, contrast bath. Free by 2:00. I looked up eyes wide. "Are y'all going soft on me?"

"I said you would like the schedule. You have time to hit around with your old dad?"

I smiled and nodded looking back at my messages. I had a text from an unknown number that I opened. I looked up at my dad who was getting up.

"Excellent, I'll see you at breakfast," he said patting my feet and moving away.

"You know it." I saw my dad turn and I returned my attention to my phone and read the message.

Buongiorno Bonsee, it's Charles. Hope you're recovering this morning. Can't wait to cheer you on if your offer still stands.

I smiled down at my phone and was preparing a response, but I realized my door hadn't closed. I glanced up and saw my dad looking curiously at me. I could tell he was thinking and he wasn't moving from his spot. I put my phone down and met his gaze. "You look like you have something to say."

My dad shuffled his feet and opened his mouth and closed it. I raised my eyebrows at him. "I'm asking this as your dad and not your coach, but I heard a rumor you were hanging out with a certain Ferrari driver after the match," he replied returning the same look with eyebrows raised.

"Papa," I groaned sprawling out onto the bed.

"Nothing bad, I just expect tickets out of this. You know my tifosi side can't help it," he said smiling.

"Ask him yourself, he should be at my next match. But that's all I have to share or offer. As your player AND daughter," I added.

He brought his fingers up to his face tapping his chin. "So it is true. Maybe you should ask to hangout. Or if he doesn't ask, maybe he is a dumb driver, speaking as your dad."

I laughed throwing my pillow at him. "Fuori [out]." I pointed my finger to the door and my dad turned holding his hands up in innocence before leaving the room.

I groaned rolling over and buried my face in my pillow. I loved the relationship my father and I had as coach and family, but his knowledge of my life sometimes felt invasive.

I shifted my head to the side and looked back at the message on my phone and prepared a response.

If driving a car is as exhausting as they say, you should know the feeling! Looking forward to your Italian screams next match. I'll send you the link for tickets later today.

I threw my phone at the foot of the bed and willed myself to get up. I walked front of the mirror and examined the damage. I showered and got straight into bed last night, my hair paying the ultimate price.

I pulled it into a bun and took care of all my other morning needs. My white warm up clung to my tired body once I changed, and I prepared a tea before heading downstairs. When I grabbed my phone, I was surprised to see a notification.

Charles: Speaking of, what are you doing later today?

Surprisingly free after 2ish, have anything in mind that requires little to no physical effort?

My phone dinged back immediately.

Charles: I can work with that. I could pick you up at 4? Does a short walk and coffee sound relaxed enough?

Make it tea. Then I added my hotel address. I closed my phone and made my way to breakfast.
~
I jumped out of my cold tub absolutely over my treatment for the day, but I had to admit I felt better. My dad was over at a table working on paperwork, and my trainer eyed me as I threw on my robe and moved faster than usual.

"Where was the pep in your step 30 minutes ago," Daniel asked. I simply shrugged and continued to gather my stuff.

"You in for scrabble or another board game tonight," Daniel questioned and it seemed loaded when I looked over at him. I saw my dad's eyes flash away from his paperwork trying to be discreet.

"I have plans," I simply said sliding on my flip flops eyeing up both of them. Neither of them said anything and my dad retreated to his paperwork.

Daniel grinned and proceeded to grab his gear. "Ah, have fun. Eat something filling, hydrate, 8 hours of sleep, morning alarm 8am," was all he said before I gave him a salute. I left my trainer and dad swapping glances with one another.
~
After stepping out of the shower I threw on another causal warm up outfit and brushed out my hair. I threw some moisturizer on my face and called it a day. My phone dinged and I read a text from Charles saying he was pulling up to the hotel, and I made my way out of my room before I could let my brain process what I was doing.

I got onto the elevator and stared at my reflection. I didn't think I'm a lame person, but today was a step out of my comfort zone. I would do dinners with friends during tournaments, enjoy game or movie nights with my team, but hanging out with someone I didn't know was not in the cards. My life revolves around tennis, but maybe this would be good for my mental prep.

"Maybe I am lame," I whispered to myself in the mirror. I attempted to change my mindset and went with the  idea of today being good for me as I left the elevator.