16: Abandonment

Syrena's body trembled the longer she stared at her parents and their youngest child, unknowing and unresponsive to anything outside of their locked gazes. The adults leaned over to whisper something in the child's ear, his expression turning from one of bewilderment to one of nervous awe as he beheld his long lost older sister.

"Want to make a break for it?" Dawn whispered, hoping the Commander would snap out of whatever had come over her. No response came from the girl beside her, and the Venturer wondered if she had even heard her.

Then the monsters stepped towards them, and Syrena's foot slid back against the floor, appearing as though she was getting ready to sprint but couldn't bring herself to actually do it. Her expression confused Dawn, as it was one she had never expected to see. Usually, under any other circumstances, she would have delighted in how upset her enemy looked, if it weren't for the fact that now it seemed that this was something that had the potential to render her companion completely useless.

Subconsciously, Dawn raised her hand, resting it gently against the small of Syrena's back. The Commander jumped at the contact, eyes clouded with agony and fear seeking hers. In truth, Dawn did not know what had prompted her to do it. Whether it was her desire not to draw attention to them, or by a rush of unwelcome pity, she did not know. What she did know was that they most certainly could not afford to cause a scene, and that she felt as though Syrena needed to know that someone was there. It didn't matter who that someone was, and the Venturer was most certainly still her enemy, she just needed someone to stand by her, and that someone happened to be Dawn.

"Is that really you, Syrena?" The mother dared to speak as they approached, a question a parent should never have to ask their child. "You have returned to Monrya?"

"Not for you." The Commander managed, looking as though she desperately needed something solid to hold onto. Noting this, Dawn raised her hand again, as it had fallen back to her side, and settled it once more on her back. "I'm on official business."

"Who is this next to you?" The father asked, taking interest in Dawn's peculiar actions.

Knowing Syrena was in no position to speak, let alone lie, Dawn chose to answer for her. "I am her travelling companion."

"Just a travelling companion?" His eyes flicked to the hand resting on her back, and then to the visible burn scar.

"You are welcome to make assumptions, it is just as you see."

"They are not welcome to make any assumptions about me." Syrena reprimanded her, grip tightening painfully around her spear.

The child glanced up at them, eyes identical as the monster who stood still beside her. "Hello, I'm Jaxie." He greeted, shaky voice betraying his nerves in the presence of such intimidating adults.

"We don't care who you are." Dawn snapped, quickly tiring of this situation and breaking her perfect façade. She tugged on the Commanders arm, hoping the monster would budge just a little in the direction of safety. "Let's go, Syrena."

Visibly offended by her dismissal, the father looked directly at his daughter, purposefully excluding the Venturer from this reunion. "Can we talk in private?"

"I am not going anywhere with you." Syrena's voice while quiet, contained the sharpness of a thousand knives. The lung crushing fear that the Commander caused Dawn came rushing to the surface, and she had to remind herself that she wasn't on the receiving end of those words as she squashed the feeling down.

"Please, Syrena?" The mother whispered, hand reaching out to touch her daughter. The Commander swiftly dodged it, choosing to position herself behind Dawn, as though the human could hide her or act as a barrier between them. How ironic. "We must talk."