2: The Small Family

"Another one found dead just beyond our western borders." Dawn could hear Freya's hushed voice creep down the hall when she woke the following morning.

"That's now six Venturers then. Have the lists gone up yet?" She heard another quiet voice respond. Elise, Dawn presumed, as she was Freya's best friend and often came by.

"The missing list has but I think they're still working on the dead one."

Ah, they were referring to the two separate lists that went up after every Venture Day; one proclaims the Venturers who have gone missing, the other stating whose bodies have been found. It seemed every human with a Venturer friend or family member waited with bated breath for those lists to go up.

Gradually gaining consciousness, every muscle in Dawn's body seemed to be screaming with agony. It was to be expected of course, this always happened on the morning after Venture Days. However as much as she wanted to stay in bed, it would only make the pain worse. Forcing herself upright was a challenge, dressing herself was an even harder one. Fighting through the pain, led by her grumbling stomach, Dawn emerged from her room and plodded to the kitchen.

Freya and Elise were sitting around the table looking grim until the Venturer hobbled in, which brightened their spirits immediately. Echoes of good morning followed Dawn as she sat down, vaguely listening to the renewed conversation.

Dawn's attention was brought back when Elise turned her attention onto her, dark eyes brimming with curiosity. "Did you find much?"

"A decent amount. I'll be able to sell enough to comfortably get us through the coming month."

"Elise and I are planning on checking to see what other Venturers have found unless you need any help with selling?" Freya chipped in, not willing to leave if her help was required.

"I'll be fine." Dawn reassured, happy her younger sister had made plans for the day. "Do you need money?"

"No, I have enough from last month." Freya's smile was kind, the type of smile that radiated warmth. "Besides, I make my own money now considering I recently graduated."

"Sometimes I forget you're seventeen." The Venturer sheepishly responded as Elise stood and ushered Freya to her feet. Her sister would always be that bright eyes, rosy cheeks baby that Dawn happily spent her life caring for.

"All the interesting things will be gone if we don't get there soon." The girl made her way to the door. Freya followed quickly after her friend, both disappearing down the ladder. Enjoying the momentary silence, the Venturer pulled together a couple of oats and some berries to appease her growling stomach. She would have to restock on food today as the shelves were almost barren. As she munched, Dawn's eyes wandered to the copy of the dead list that was sitting on the table.

"What a charming morning read." She uttered darkly to herself, scanning the named of her fallen comrades.

"Just be glad you're not on it." A familiar, snarky voice came from behind. Unable to help herself, Dawn grinned as she turned around to face Rose.

"I'm surprised your awake at this hour, considering the sun is in the sky."

"Har, har, your comedic talents are wasted on you being a Venturer."

Dawn stood, and gladly accepted the bear hug that her friend was offering. The anxiety of the past few days finally eased, knowing that everyone was safe and would be able to eat. "Good to see you."

"Welcome back." Rose mumbled, obviously happy that Dawn's name was not on the list of the deceased.

Pulling away, Dawn reclaimed her seat as Rose slumped in the chair next to her. Her forehead hit the wooden table with a dull thud, and Dawn had to stifle a laugh. "Rough shift?"