29: Traitor

The following month passed much too slowly for Dawn's liking. Autumn was in full effect; trees shedding the majority of their leaves and coating the forest floor in brilliant shades of ruby red and deep brown.

Despite her efforts, she was not a single step closer to uncovering Alani's true motives. As though she knew she was being suspected, the witch had all but vanished. Whenever Dawn went to visit her, the stone hut had been empty. Zaque had also disappeared without a trace, and Garrett, true to his word, had indeed been keeping a close eye on her. Whether that meant physically watching her when he could, or hiring someone to follow her throughout the Base, Dawn was never truly alone unless she was inside her cabin. It was getting increasingly frustrating having eyes on her at all times, and even when she was in the safety of her home, she still felt as though her movements were being tracked. Given this, it was very difficult to do what she needed to do.

With an absent witch and a front of innocence to portray, Dawn filled her time by training. Various Venturers, both new and old, jogged around the track, each keeping to themselves as per usual. She joined them, determined to remain in top physical condition as she would most likely need to be over the next couple of months. As she ran, her mind drifted, as it usually did, to the three she suspected most. Garrett and Zaque she could most likely deal with and anticipate their moves now that she had more of an idea of what she was up against, but Alani was a wild card.

For now, all she could do was keep her head down while she gathered the information she needed. She only had until the next Venture Day to discover whether or not Alani could be trusted, and what she should do about Garrett and Zaque. Could she lure them out of Kings Grave somehow and manage to get them captured much like they had done to her? That was an outlandish idea and had as much of a chance of succeeding as her coaxing Alani to spill her secrets. Scrapping that plan as quickly as it had formed, Dawn then wondered if there was a way of outing them and their shadow plans to the rest of the Base? How would the general populace react? Likely most would side with their leader, thinking it high time that the order of the world changed. Dawn would have once joined them, and truthfully there was a part of her that was still intrigued by the idea of becoming stronger, if it weren't for the fact that she had been beaten and humiliated by some goons in their organisation, not to mention tricked into being captured. She still had a debt to pay and she would be sure to deliver it tenfold. It was clear that their side did not want her on it, and so she would do her utmost to destroy them by any means necessary. She was on her own side, after all, and she had never been the forgiving type.

That left Alani and the monumental task of uncovering her secrets. The Venturer had been tempted to break into her hut, and was still considering the idea. Though the thought of being discovered by the witch sent shivers down her spine. That was a fate that seemed worse than death.

Dawn and Rose took to the archery field on the Watcher's next day off, wanting to let off some steam but shooting a few rounds. This was a common pastime of theirs, and it usually made for a spectacular competition given that their skills were evenly matched.

"That's not your bow." Rose commented as they set up, eyeing the wooden weapon that her friend carried.

"It's Freya's, mine was broken while I was away." Dawn explained as she counted the arrows.

The Watcher's expression was positively impish as she turned to face her oh so slowly. "Broken, you say? Well, well."

Casting her eyes to the heavens, Dawn did her best to suppress her smile. "Mine was snatched and snapped, you broke yours of your own accord. Not the same."

Their competition had ended in Rose's victory, though the Venturer certainly blamed the fact that she was unused to the bow she was using and not because she had been distracted by the Watcher's cheating attempts to throw her off the mark.