38: Finders Keepers

The Venturer had run quite the distance to reach a small encampment nestled within a quiet portion of the forest. It was decent enough away from the Base to go unnoticed by all residents of Kings Grave, and hidden enough to be suspicious.

"Leader, we have a problem." The Venturer greeted the man who was sitting next to his son within the heart of their little hideout.

The Leader stood, regarding the Venturer with reluctant compliance. "It better be worth my time."

"Your house is on fire, and one of the escaped is now hanging by a noose on display for the entire Base to see."

"What?" Garrett seemed to have trouble processing the rushed words, and an even harder time to decipher their meaning. He had never had to deal with a fire within Kings Grave, nor did he expect to have their plight be known before he had prepared to tell his people. "How?"

"I don't know, I didn't see who did it." The Venturer shook his head, trying to convey a sense of urgency to the Leader. "They left a note, and people are growing suspicious."

"Did you take down the note?" Garrett asked once the Venturer answered his question about the contents of the note, voice raising when the boy refused to answer. "You left it?"

"I panicked."

"You idiot."

The Venturer ignored the insult, looking back in the direction he had come from. It was hard to see through the thickness of the trees, but as it was nearing winter and most of the leaves had fallen, an orange glow and plume of smoke could be seen on the horizon. "I think it's best if you come back, to squash any doubt that may be rising against you."

"Yes, you might be right." Garrett sighed before turning to his son who had been watching, jaw clenched and eyes hard upon hearing the news that his family home was burning down. "Stay at the camp, ensure everything is exactly as I left it until I return. Ray won't be happy about this."

"Of course, father." Zaque nodded, trying to ease any worries the Leader might have about leaving his son in charge. "Try and catch whoever it was. They obviously know too much."

"I'll see you soon." Garrett followed the Venturer into the forest. Dawn wanted to laugh at his words, at how inaccurate they were.

She watched as Zaque cast a glance to a certain point that was out of her line of sight, a scowl forming on his face.

"Trouble in paradise?" A weak voice coughed, defiant in his tone. Zaque wasn't alone.

"Shut it." The boy snapped, running a frustrated hand through his hair. "We'll sort it out. Do not think you will be saved."

"Wouldn't dream of it, I just hope whoever it is will give you hell for us."

"Or I can kill them in front of you."

"They sound like quite the problem if they have already caused this amount of trouble." Dawn recognised what the owner of the voice was doing, he was taunting Zaque, riling him up to see whether or not he would take the bait. Then it occurred to her that he must know she was there and hiding; he and whoever he was with could hear her heartbeat. They were Monstra. "I doubt you'd be able to catch them."

"Keep going." She whispered to them, the three heartbeats she could hear that were hidden from her. "Get him away from here."

Of course, it didn't matter to her whether Zaque was there or not, but she would much rather explore the encampment without an annoying brat to worry about beforehand. Then again, she could always kill him earlier than planned.

"In fact," The Monstra continued, having heard Dawn's request. "I bet they're making a mockery of your father this very second."

"Enough!" Zaque was fuming, obviously the stress of the evening was getting to him. The nature of Garrett's leadership seemed to be a sensitive topic for his son. "I'll cut out your tongue if you're not careful."