chapter VII

: ̗̀➛ੈ✩‧₊˚

— daylight !chapter seven ; im so proud of you

daylight !
chapter seven ; im so proud of you

— daylight !chapter seven ; im so proud of you

I WAS IN MY SPORT UNIFORM, as we and Mr. Keating trudged toward the field. Mr. Keating was holding a bag full of soccer balls.

"Now," Keating started, "devotees may argue that one sport or game is inherently better than another. For me, sport is actually a chance for us to have other human beings push us to excel. I want you all to come over here and take a slip of paper and line up single file."

He set the equipment down under the small bleachers and his briefcase on the top seat.

"Mr. Meeks, time to inherit the earth," he said, handing Meeks a slip of paper. He did the same for Pitts. "Mr. Pitts, rise above your name." He handed the clipboard full of papers to someone and said: "I want you to hand these out to the boys and girls, one apiece."

After I got mine, Renee came up to me. "What did you get?" she asked.

I looked down at it, reading it for the first time. "You are not free if others define you," I said simply. "What about you?"

"To thee seekers of solitude, embrace thyself," she said.

Soon, we were all ordered to line up. Pitts went first. Keating blew a whistle, signalling for him to start. "You know what to do, Pitts!" he called.

"O to struggle against great odds, To meet enemies undaunted," Pitts said.

Keating shouted out, "Sounds to me like you're daunted. Say it like you're undaunted."

Pitts looked back down at his paper. "O to struggle against great odds, To meet enemies undaunted," he repeated louder.

"Now, go on!" Keating gestured to the ball in front of the boy. Pitts ran forward and kicked it hard. "Yes. Next."