14 Khushi's Gift

Part 14 Khushi's Gift

I came to the living room and didn't find Khushi there. I ran my eyes all over but she was not there. I noticed Diya and Jiya were also missing. Khushi must be in their room I supposed. I didn't know what was her condition. When my father scolded me, I saw her facial expression change.

I saw my mother smiling at me awkwardly.

"Where is Khushi?" I asked.

"Diya and Jiya took her to their room"

I sighed.

"Chotte, don't mistake Dad. Khushi had been pampered at her home by her parents and brother. Making her do things for us is not seeming nice" My mother repented.

I didn't think their intention was wrong. Yet, I wanted to know how Khushi was doing. Without wasting time in the living room, I galloped to Diya and Jiya's room. I stood outside their room not letting them know my arrival because I knew Khushi would not share anything with me. Of course, I didn't know what she would share with the kids. Yet, I waited outside.

"We are sorry, Mami, we made you cook cake," Diya said sadly.

"Haan, Mami, Nanu ordered a big size cake for us. That's why he got angry with us..." Jiya said.

I didn't hear Khushi saying anything.

"Are you a Princess?" Diya asked.

"I WAS a Princess," Khushi said.

"Means?"

"I got married to your Mama. He is not a Prince. Then how could I be a Princess?" She questioned the kids.

I was taken aback because that was the same question she asked my mother when she refused to give Khushi the recipe for Sheermal and Malaipan. I sensed a huge difference between them even though those were the same sentence.

"Oh... you became a commoner because you married Mama?"

"I thought so..." Khushi left it incomplete.

"Is your brother also no more a Prince?" Diya asked.

"He is a Prince only"

"He got married to Payal Maasi. Then how could he be still a Prince?"

"He is still a Prince because he is a MAN. Your Payal Maasi became a Prince now because she married the Prince"

"Haaannnn..." Diya and Jiya were confused.

"You will understand the RULES of marriage when you become big girls. Ok?"

"Mmm"

"If you are not a Princess, then why does Nanu not want you to cook?" Jiya asked.

"You can't understand..." Khushi said.

"Won't Payal Massi come to our Birthday party?" Jiya asked.

"I don't know," Khushi said.

I frowned. Didn't Di say she didn't need to invite Payal because being their Maasi, she should come to the party without invitation? Then why did Khushi say she didn't know?

"Shall we go downstairs?" Diya asked.

"We will go later," Said Khushi. I understood her mood was off.

I silently headed to the kitchen and found the oven being off. The time Khushi had set to back the cake was over it seemed.

"Hariprkash, remove the cake from the oven," I said.