To Survive (Chapter 1, part 9)

"Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!" exclaims Monokuma.

I sat up, still half asleep, and rubbed my eyes. Slowly I pulled myself out of bed. ...I remembered I was in Sayaka's room.

"I just remembered, I promised to eat breakfast with everyone else. I'd better get going."

I left Sayaka's room and made my way toward the dining hall. A few people had already gathered at the dining hall by the time I got there.

"Hello, Akira and good morning! Can you believe it? I was the very first one here this morning!" exclaims Taka.

"Oh that's cool," I mumble.

"Ehehe...good morning" Chihiro says, with a smile.

"Hi!" Hina exclaims with a smile.

"I suppose I'm early..." Sakura says with a grin.

Everyone else came a little late...

"Yo," Mondo says.

"Sorry I'm late! My make-up just would NOT cooperate this morning!" exclaims Junko.

"My apologies, ladies and gentlemen. My morning, ah, duty took a little longer than usual.." Hifumi says.

"...I suppose I'm late" Kyoko says.

"Good morning, everyone" Celeste says.

"My bad, guys! Slept right through my alarm!" exclaims Leon.

"Wh-What? Is it s-so awful to be l-late?" asks Toko.

"I didn't oversleep, just so you know. Nope, got lost! I blame my future self..." Yasuhiro replies.

... I don't care about time or other people in general. They're the kind to move at their own pace. But regardless, everyone had arrived. At least, that's how it was supposed to go...

"Wait, aren't we still missing some people?" asks Taka.

"Yeah, Sayaka and Byakuya aren't here yet," Hina says.

"...What's going on? Did something happen?" Byakuya suddenly asks.

"Hey man! Have you seen Sayaka?" asks Mondo.

"Why would I have? I just came straight from my room to here," Byakuya says.

"Did she forget about our breakfast promise...?" asks Hifumi.

"I got the sense she always has her stuff together..."

Listening to everyone talk like that, a small, dark speck of unease rose up inside of me.

And that speck started to grow quickly...

"I-I need to go... I have to check on her!" Makoto exclaims.

"Wait! Makoto!" exclaims Taka.

The words had barely left Makoto's lips before he flew out into the hall.

"Oh n-no..." Toko says.

Makoto frantically searches through the hallway, I rush after him.

"Sayaka! Sayaka! Where are you!?" he asks.

"Makoto! Calm down!" I exclaim.

I grab his shoulder and push him back.

"Relax, I might know, where he is..."

"W-where?" he asks.

"Follow me," I say.

Makoto follows me and we both step into my dorm.

Makoto gasps in horror. My room, where I'd let Sayaka stay for a single night. Where she was supposed to be safe...But over the course of that one night... ...the room had been completely destroyed.

Scratch marks are everywhere, I see the gold-coated sword just lying there on the floor, but only the sheath... also with scratch marks on it. A table on one side of the room is tipped over, destroyed. The bed's damaged too... there's slashes on the walls and floor.

"Wh-what the heck?" asks Makoto.

"Wh-where's Sayaka?" he asks.

"I checked the whole room," I reply.

"Besides... the bathroom,."

Let's...

...take...a...look...

...in...side...

... ... ...

I open the door it creaks open, the two of us step inside and then we see it...

Her body...

There laid her body. The dead, limp bloody body of...

Sayaka Maizono.