xxii.

STYLE ── twenty-two

"𝐬𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨𝐮𝐭, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐧𝐨 𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐫𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐝𝐨 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐰𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐰𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞"— exile, taylor swift (ft

— exile, taylor swift (ft. bon iver)

Carlos was incredibly grateful when the break arrived. It was something he much needed after the eventful season 2022 had been. Now that the season was approaching the end, he looked back to everything he had conquered and felt... empty.

He wasn't exactly unhappy. He still had a successful career, a good racing team, his family by his side, the possibility to travel anywhere he wanted, and still there was something missing. Something that used to be filled once but wasn't anymore.

His breakup with Juliette hit him harder than he'd expect. He'd only had one long term relationship before that lasted 4 years before he broke up with her due to different interests— it sucked, sure, it was too big of a change and it shaped him to the person he was today. But Juliette wasn't like a piece of routine missing, it felt like an ache that his heart called at every time and felt like crying when he remembered how it all went down.

As much as he didn't like to admit, he was still hurting when she and Charles went out together and she didn't even came after him to try and get him back. It felt like a huge betray from the universe to love someone that much and receive nothing back. But he wasn't one for letting it show, even when Lando would basically harass him to talk about feelings.

So Carlos kept it to himself. He tried to avoid Juliette on the paddocks, he focused on his work, he stayed in and avoided attention from the media. He did everything he'd do to get over a breakup and, still, she was like a ghost in his shoulder reminding everything they could've had together.

So when Charles invited him to go skiing together on the mountains, he figured it would be a good idea to distract his mind. Carlos got to Switzerland by the end of the morning, in which he proceeded to go straight to the hotel and settle in while Charles was out skiing already. He used the free time to finish details about his check-in before spending the afternoon in the gym.

When it was about 6 p.m., finally, Carlos got out and walked to the lobby, to which Charles would arrive soon enough so they could go out to dinner and catch up. Carlos watched as his friend opened the driver's door and got out to catch his equipment in the trunk, but, instead, he made a stop by the passenger's door and opened it for someone else.

That was weird. Carlos never heard of anyone else coming.

Yet when he finally realized who was also there by the dark hair and the slim body, he couldn't help but sigh loudly and tense up in frustration. Standing right there in his sacred place of forgetting was Juliette Edwards— the exact thing he wanted to forget.