九 the past isn't too kind

*abuse and suicide mentioned- warning*

You were 11, at the time.

You had awoken from a nightmare. You always had them from a young age, so vivid and utterly terrifying.

You couldn't go back to sleep, so that meant one of two things.

You would either go to your parents room, or to Kazuki's.

Your father was the most comforting of everyone. You would crawl between him and your mom. He would wrap you in his arms and kiss the top of your head.

Tell you, "It's okay baby. Daddy's here. Nothing to be afraid of. I'll protect you."

And then you'd drift back to sleep with ease.

But, he was away with business again.

You crawled out of your bed and made your way down the dark hallway to Kazuki's room.

You stood in front of his door, you didn't want to startle him so you knocked first.

"Kaziiii."

The boy was still sleeping soundly.

You knocked a little harder.

"Kazi I had a nightmare I couldn't sleep. Can I come in?"

You grew impatient with the boy sleeping through all your knocks.

"I'm coming in then, Kazi." you warned.

You turned the door knob and pushed open the door. Your eyes hadn't adjusted so the room was pitch black as you made your way inside.

But you stopped.

Dead in your tracks, as you made out a figure as your eyes adjusted.

A figure hanging from the ceiling.

His eyes were open, face was completely pale.

Blue lips slightly parted.

He had been dead for a couple hours now.

Your brother.

Had taken his life.

You sat up abruptly. Chest rising and falling, as you gasped for air. You could feel the tears that streamed down your face.

Fuck fuck fuck.

You were trembling. Your body drenched in cold sweats.

You let out strained gasping noises as you tried to force yourself to breathe.

Calm down.

Calm down.

Breathe.

You looked around the dark room.

No one.

It was so vivid. Exactly like you remembered it.

Your breathing was still rapid but you were slowly getting ahold of yourself, as you wiped the tears from your face.

Kazuki.

Your eyes adjust slowly to the darkness of the room.

It was quiet. Nothing but your breathing and the hum of the submarine.

It had to have been around 2 in the morning.

You glanced at your bedside table to see the water glass was empty. Your mouth was parched and your body was still trembling slightly.