十 dead to the world

You were 16 at the time.

You were running.

Running as fast as your feet could possibly carry you.

Your whole world had just been completely blown to pieces. Shattered. Flipped completely upside down.

Minniche Island. Your home.

You sprinted down the hill to the shore, to Shouga's dock.

It was dark and you easily could've fallen but that wasn't even on your mind.

Get out of here.

Run.

Your whole body felt numb except you could hear your heart beating in your ears and lungs about to burst.

You weren't thinking, just running on pure adrenaline.

You looked down the dock at all of Shouga's beautiful boats lined up.

You climbed into the closest one to you, a small boat and pushed off the dock and yanked the rope to let the sail up and tied it.

And then you sat.

You sat looking at the beautiful island you had grown up on.

The houses and shops that covered the hill all the way down to the shore line.

You knew they were all already being invaded and terrorized. Brutally attacked.

You could no longer hear the screams and the noise of breaking windows and doors down.

From where you were in the ocean it looked peaceful. Your home.

Where so many wonderful and painful memories of my life had been made.

The island slowly shrunk, and your gaze never left it.

You extended a hand as it slowly disappeared into the distance and haze.

Your life was going to be changed forever. You were running away from home.

Goodbye, Shouga.

You woke up to shuffling around the infirmary. You could feel your heart pounding so hard in your chest but your body felt so exhausted for some reason. Lethargic. Your body was begging you to crawl back into the covers and sleep.

You let out a groan as you forced yourself to sit up.

"You're awake!"

You turned to see Penguin looking at you smiling.

You rose an eyebrow at him.

"What are you-"

"We're docking soon!" he blurted out in an excited tone.

Your eyes widened.

That meant the sub had surfaced.

Holy shit.

You immediately scrambled out of bed, kicking off the sheets, not even stopping to change your clothes,

Penguin stood there watching you,

"Uh... Shiina..."

You turned to look at him for a moment.

This might be the last time you see his face.

"Hey."

"Captain said you're staying-"

"Thank you."