30: No Pain, No Gain

"Morning," I mumbled to Mom and flung a kitchen towel over my shoulder

"Morning," I mumbled to Mom and flung a kitchen towel over my shoulder. My forehead was sweating and strained from how hard I concentrated. "Surprise?"

Her feet stopped at the table, where her eyes took in my prepared breakfast. "Good morning. Did you...go out and buy this?"

"Kinda?" I shrugged, dropped a plate of bacon in the middle of the table, and poured us glasses of orange juice. "I thought breakfast would be nice before we left. It's from this crazy place called a grocery store. You know, the place where food comes from before you burn it."

"I didn't know you knew where the grocery store was," she teased.

"Next to the volunteer fire station."

"And your generous moment's ruined." She sat down with a huff. "What's all this?"

"Uhh, eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon?" Paige texted me steps to cook a whole package in the oven, which worked while I dressed. A visual inspection showed no eggshells, raw or burned spots, or other hazards. "Why?"

Her lips pulled into a bright smile. "Thank you, Brody."

I shoved bacon into my mouth two pieces at a time. Mom's bites were more delicate, but she pushed a small piece of paper across the table. "Here's your list, Mister."

"My what?" I took it, expecting chores, but instead found...I wasn't sure. "What the hell is this?"

Homecoming invitation.
Ride to school.
DATES.
Social media oversharing.

"Language, Brody." She frowned and took a tentative bite of eggs. Her eyes rounded and lifted to me. "These are delicious. Should I thank you or Paige?"

"Paige," I said between bites. Warm food was better than cold cereal, but this list was crazy. "Seriously, what is this? Homecoming invitation? She drives herself to school, and we already eat lunch together. Why is dates capitalized?"

"Because you should take her on some." She hummed her approval around a bite of eggs. "And make the dance memorable for her."

She–she was helping. In her special, intrusive way, Mom was helping. "I don't think Paige—"

"No, I thought through this last night." Great. I stuffed in another piece of bacon to avoid voicing my opinion. Her eyes beamed. "And I found many ways to demonstrate you're her boyfriend."

"I can't...just...say that I am?"

Mom gave me a doubtful look. "Not unless you want people to believe it."

Great, she sounded like Violet. Mom was nosey and pushy, but hopefully, Vi's motivation was concern for Paige. I thought holding her hand, which was nice, was a step forward. She had to notice how sweaty mine was. The rides were sick fun, but I ruined any possible Ferris wheel moment by opening my big mouth. Paige was—