50: Right Person, Wrong Time

As much as I wished for high school to end and spent many days counting down and praying the last one would come soon, I didn't want to say goodbye

"I can't do it." I sniffled into the blue graduation gown covering Brody's shoulder. "I can't say goodbye to you."

"It's not goodbye, Paige." He leaned his head down, hitting the tip of my nose with his tassel–on purpose, going by the grin that followed.

I wished I could be as confident as him, but Dad's hospital scare shook the foundation of our family. He waved from his wheelchair. An oxygen tube was in his nose, and tears streamed from his eyes. We didn't know if he would return to normal, but he was still here. Mom wiped her eyes and handed him a tissue.

Our conversation was the most difficult one I've ever had.

Dad's gown parted enough to show a large bandage over his chest. His eyes were half-closed, but he was awake and smiling. I rushed to his side, stopping at the edge of his bed. Could I touch him? Was he hurting? He had a tube in his nose, and a surgical hat covered his bald head like a puffy, blue mushroom.

"D-Dad?" Morgan sniffled.

"I'm fine. Just fine," Dad whispered. Raising his arms revealed more tubes going into him. "Takes a lot more to bring me down."

I wanted to believe him but he looked frail and tired. Each breath was hard, and I couldn't stop trembling. Wiping my eyes, I sat gently next to him.

"Mom was telling me this boyfriend of yours was here, Paigey." Dad's hand was ice-cold, so I pressed it between my palms. "Think he'll be sticking around?"

"About him..." I bit my lip and looked at Mom. "I need to tell you something."

They were more understanding about my relationship with Brody than I expected, although understandably concerned about how I was treated at school.

"I'm calling the school on Monday." Mom paced in front of Dad's bed. "Paige, you should've told us!"

"No. Putting more attention on the situation would've made it worse." I shook my head and smiled. "And I don't need you to."

They didn't say much, listening to me unload everything from Brody protecting me to him taking me places where I didn't feel ashamed to be seen to becoming the person I trusted most. Tears filled my eyes when I described how incredible he was. They shared a look like we needed to have more conversations on this topic, but they weren't upset.

The ride home was horrible. Mom cried, half in relief for Dad waking up and half for the upcoming surgery bill. With Morgan sleeping in the back seat, I reached through the dark to take Mom's hand.

Knowing what I had to do didn't lessen the heaviness crushing my heart.

"We're staying in contact." Brody's voice nudged me out of my thoughts.