37: Ants in My Pants

"I'm sorry, Brody

"I'm sorry, Brody." Nia gave me a sympathetic smile.

"Do it." I clenched my teeth. "Needs to be believable."

"Wish I could put it in the cheerleaders' uniforms too." Her gloved hand pinched a handful of her baggie creation. Saving me for last, she was down to a tiny amount of cream-colored powder. "I can put it on your sleeves."

"Put it on my lower back, elbows, and knees." I would've also said helmet, but Nia didn't have the helmet cabinet's key.

"Are you sure? Everyone else is—"

"I know." I was participating on my terms. Or, technically, Paige's. "Hurry."

"Your funeral." She worked quickly, patting my back and knees, then tugged at my wrists to rub my elbows. "Go wash off. Yours will wear off first, but you'll still be plenty itchy, promise."

My skin tingled with sensitivity, and I nodded at her empty bag. "Do I want to know where you got this from?"

Her cheeks turned pink. "I, umm, made it. From dried roses. Took forever, but go wash off."

Dried roses. I had no idea. "How long have you—"

"Go!"

I scrubbed at the sink until my skin was pink, propping my legs on the counter to wash my knees. Nia was gone when I shut off the sink, so I went to my locker, pushed my gear inside, and sat next to my empty bag. The tingling behind my arms brushed the worn wood, followed by the urge to squirm.

This would be a long night. I pulled out my phone.

Me: Ready.

Paige: You don't need to do this.

Me: *Did. Yes I did.

Paige: 😕 It's Homecoming.

I scratched a random itch on my back. Despite a crawling sensation spreading from my elbows and knees, I had to tease.

Me: Little late to ask me to be your date, but okay.

Paige: Don't tease! 😭 I feel awful.

My smile faded. I never wanted to see her cry like when Pierce shoved her. Her knees were already bleeding, and the red irritation in her eyes turned her irises bright green. Quitting the team was the last thing I wanted, but I needed them to believe I would.

Like Vi, I also wanted them to get a taste of what Paige felt. Cue Nia's brilliance. It wasn't the most original prank, but it was related to how Paige felt.

Me: Not as awful as I'm about to feel. 😉

Paige: You're so stubborn.

I was typing 'you like me anyways' when the door burst open. Acting time. I stood and started pulling items from my locker and packing them into my bag.