38: Homecoming

My friends were insane

My friends were insane. Certifiably, wacked out of their minds, delusional beyond my comprehension, insane. Why? Why would they subject themselves to itching powder? How does one even make it, no, think to make it?

Nia shrugged. "Online search."

I closed my eyes and covered them with my hand. "This better not be for sympathy."

"I told you, Paigey. Empathy, not sympathy," Violet emphasized, but I didn't believe her third attempt. "Although, I do very quickly feel sorry for you because this is freaking miserable...Good job, Nia."

"Thank you." Nia took her hand and squeezed it. "Happy to be miserable with you."

Their making their relationship official before the game was the only dampener on my...I wasn't sure how I felt.

A bit angry and irritated. Serving detention to clean and reorganize the pantry and fridges for Mrs. Calvin left me irritated and as sweaty as if I'd jogged for Coach Williams. She supervised me while reviewing the security footage. Sure enough, Layla had turned on Brody's oven.

"I didn't ask for this!" I pointed at their red, raised skin.

Beneath my irritation, I was quietly impressed. My friends were purposely making themselves, and the football team, miserable to understand what I felt. I wasn't about to use itching powder to see how it compared to my psoriasis, but the action touched me more than I could express.

"Love you crazy nutjobs."

"Don't forget Brody." Xavi nodded at his incoming figure.

My pulse quickened at his white dress shirt, the top two buttons unbuttoned to show his white undershirt and black pants. His face was flushed red, the usual post-game helmet mark was on his forehead, and his hair was wet. My heart took a funny drop, and I looked forward to seeing him dressed up tomorrow for Homecoming.

Tonight was another game pushing Brody further into Scotts Valley's records. On paper, the game was the worst for him, with three touchdowns and two hundred and sixty-seven yards, but he was still the best player on the field.

After a brief moment of satisfaction from Pierce and Caden being miserable, watching his whole team scratch themselves didn't make me happy. Most of the team ignored me. Until today's hallway incident, the casual taunts or weird looks had vanished, thanks to Brody.

"Are you okay?" I looked over him for signs of discomfort. Once he nodded, I hit his arm. "How could you risk your game like that?"

He didn't flinch, giving me a sheepish smile. "I'm fine. See you tomorrow?"

"We'll pick you up," Vi said.

"If you behave." My warning only widened his smile.

" My warning only widened his smile