❁Chapter 25❁

"Alpha."

"F-flo?"

"It's me, Alpha."

The eerieness of her surrounding becomes softer and more tranquil upon the emergence of the one she longs for. Her heart warming up in a new found sense of comfort as her eyes rake over the being standing before her.

"Baby..." A sob tears out of her. "Why did you leave me?" The crack in her voice is enough to create a havoc within the soul reaching out to her.

The young Omega's eyes well up with tears, unable to bear the look of distraught on his Alpha's face.

"I- you were in danger. I needed to keep you safe."

"How could you imagine that I'd be able to live without you."

He remains silent, tears rolling down his face and eyes looking hollow and full of longing.

Feather's heart twists from the pain that navigates throughout her whole being.

"I'm sorry." She breaks the silence.

Florian looks up.

Feather's body weakens as she crashes on her knees, hands pressing there and head ducked down as her shoulders shake.

"I'm s-sorry I didn't believe you. I-if I did, you - you would've been alive."

As the words sputter out of her, the atmosphere around them suddenly changes from a dark night to a sunny morning and Feather realizes they are at the clearing near the lake, their peace spot.

The sounds of birds chirping, small waves rippling along the lake, leaves rustling spread a peaceful rhythm to the mates' burning hearts.

Florian's footsteps near the broken Alpha and he follows her posture, bringing his hands up to cup her face so their eyes meet.

A soft smile graces his angelic face as he wipes away her tears with his thumbs.

"It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. It hurts me to see you hate yourself. It was our destiny. Bound to happen. You have to accept that to move on."

Feather grips on his wrists tightly, shaking her head and scooting closer to him.

"I won't move on. I'll get you back. The- there's a way."

Florian's soft features morph into a frown and before Feather could get a reply from him, his visual starts to dissipate.

"Flo?"

"A- A-"

"Florian!"

But the presence is already long gone, leaving a devastated Alpha screaming her heart out behind.

Feather jolts awake on the bed, panting and heaving for breath. Her hand desperately slaps around the nightstand till she gets the light on.

Leaning against the headboard, she closes her eyes and takes deep breaths then re-opens them, adjusting her heart to a steady pattern.

Another dream containing an image of her mate. Another dream equal to a nightmare because the pain of not actually having him here doubles whenever she wakes up from them.

Then she remembers how Florian's face had changed in her dream upon hearing about getting him back.

Is it even possible? To bring a dead person back? Will it be the same as being alive?