Chapter 34: What Kind of Game is This?

Sabine

"She's not at your beck and call." Prince Cole stepped between me and the king.

"She is s salve in my palace. I want to see what magic she can perform. If she's an asset, I have the right to know," the king insisted.

My arm stung where the prince grabbed me. I could still feel the imprint of his fingers on my skin. I rubbed my arm and kept my eyes down. I wondered how long they'd continue to discuss me like I wasn't there.

"You can't make demands of my personal attendant. For that matter, my slave."

I winced each time Prince Cole emphasized 'my.'  Yes, I belonged to him and I worked for him, realities I accepted. It was different to hear it stated so bluntly.

"I am the king and lord of this castle and country. Whatever I want, I can demand. And I want to see what she can do!"

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the king point at me. I lifted my gaze to watch the interaction between them.

"I'm not going to ask again, Son."

Prince Cole crossed his arms and stood rigidly. He was confident in refusing the king. I didn't think anyone could refuse the king. Prince Cole was the War Dragon. Perhaps it was him that no one refused.

"Then you'll be disappointed because my answer remains the same."

"Come now, Cole, you must understand the seriousness of this. After your report on your visit with King Verill, we need to know what resources we have at our disposal," King Talis insisted.

I tensed and took a half step back. What exactly did the king think I was capable of?

The prince bristled and all the tension from yesterday returned to his body. I could see his muscles strain against his shirt. The longer the king was around, the more irate he became. I doubted King Talis was ignorant of the prince's behaviors.

"It hasn't come to that yet, Father. And I will do everything in my power to prevent a war from coming to pass. You don't need to worry about military matters anymore, remember?"

The king scoffed. "Your refusal to produce an heir means that I will be sitting on the throne longer than I intended. I do need to worry about everything that happens in this country. If you really want the reigns, you'll have to prove it."

I could hear the prince grinding his teeth. The muscles on his neck popped out like thick ropes.

"I'm the War Dragon! I've seen more battles than you ever have and I know how to defend this country. Our current battlements are enough."

"For now. If an actual war breaks out, we will need more resources than you currently command."

"She's not a resource!" Prince Cole threw his arm out to the side.

Wincing, I tried to find something else in the garden to look at. Most of the conversation didn't make sense. I understood the words but the subtext was out of my grasp. Beyond the possibility of war with Stivalia, I didn't know enough about the Telasian military or their defenses to make sense of it.

It seemed like King Talis thought I was a resource for the military. That made no sense with the vast number of trained soldiers at his command, and the fearsome War Dragon. What could a slave offer?

The air rippled suddenly, and I felt the warmth of King Talis's heart magic. The feeling spread over me, pushed against my aura. It almost made me drowsy and my veins trembled with euphoria.

Prince Cole rolled his shoulders back and let loose a deep sigh.

"Why do you want to keep her a secret?" King Talis pressed.