Chapter Ten

"Katniss! Katniss! Wake up!"

I open my eyes, and I see Peeta leaning over me. How did this happen? The last thing I could remember was dying. But I'm not dead.

"Oh my god!" I say. "You're alive! "I'm alive." 

I look down, and there is an IV in my hand. There's also an incision in my stomach. I don't even want to imagine what happened to my child.

"Peeta," I cry. "What happened?"

Peeta begins to speak, but he is interrupted by a doctor.

"Hello, Katniss. I am doctor Amaranth." I have some very bad news, but also some good news.

I look over at Peeta, tears running down his face.

My attention is then drawn to the doctor.

"Mrs. Mellark, it seemed that you were carrying twins. Unfortunately, in the games, you lost one, but the other one is still living and growing perfectly fine."

The news comes as a shock to me. I instantly break down in tears.

Peeta tries to comfort me, but he also starts to cry.

There are no sobs, just a steady flow of tears coming from his ocean blue eyes.

"Peeta," I say in a soft voice. "I think we both need some alone time to grieve."

Peeta walks out of the room, and I rest my head on the pillow. Again, I fall asleep.

***

I am woken by Gale.

"Where am I?" I ask. "Are we going back to district 12?"

"Katniss, we need to talk."

Gale helps me sit up, and he sits down next to me.

"When you shot that arrow at the arena, Snow completely rebelled. He destroyed district 12.  We're on our way to district 13 right now."

"But there is no district 13," I insist.

"No, Katniss. Snow just wanted you to think that. I got Prim and your mother out in time. They are already in district 13. This was all part of the plan, to get you and Peeta out."

"Peeta." I whisper.

Gale wraps his arms around me. "Also, congratulations on your pregnancy. You never told anyone before you left. That would've been good information to have."

"I'm sorry, Gale. I couldn't tell anyone. I couldn't let it get out."

"It's fine!" He says. "I was just joking. I'm sorry about your baby too, Katniss. I truly am."

Gale gets up to leave the room, but I call him back. "Gale?" I ask.

"What is it, Catnip?"

"Can you get Peeta for me?"

Gale frowns. "Sure."

***

Peeta enters the room, and I immediately stand. I wince in pain for a second, and Peeta hurriedly comes to help me. He picks me up and carries me out of the room. He takes me to the room that we are staying in.

"I can't believe this is a hovercraft," I say, trying to hold back tears of the news we were recently given.

Peeta looks towards me. "Katniss, I know that losing the baby is terrible, but we have another baby to care for. We can't just ignore the fact that you are carrying a perfectly healthy child. We have to be amazing parents to him or her."

"You're right," I say in a shaken voice.

Peeta leans towards me, and his lips meet mine.

"You're going to be an amazing dad, Peeta Mellark.

"And you will be the greatest mother there ever was, Katniss Mellark."