Chapter 2: Emergency

Jungkook woke up in the early morning hours as a noise came to his ears. It was a low mumbling, like someone sat in their kitchen and was talking quietly.
The boy frowned, slowly and very carefully, got up from the bed and sneaked over to his friend's bed.
"Hey, Taehyung" he murmured, trying to keep his stirring friend as quiet as possible.
"Hey, listen closely"
Taehyung rubbed his palms over his eyes and held in.
"Is there someone talking?" he asked but Jungkook hushed him.
"Quiet, Tae. This sounds like a man mumbling. I guess it comes from the kitchen"
The blonde's eyes widened and he shoved the blanket away.
"Shall we look?" he asked and got up, standing next to the uncertain boy.
"Guess we have to, but grab something to protect yourself"
Without thinking about it Taehyung grabbed his heavy boots from the ground and Jungkook took the heavy vase on the drawer.
Slowly the younger opened the door, listening closely to the mumbling.
It was still there, now louder because they have opened the door.
He made a small hand gesture to sign his friend to slowly following him.
Jungkook pressed himself onto the wall in the hall way, trying to understand a word that was spoken.
"... emerg- ... please co- ... borders ... diffi- ... -uation"
Jungkook furrowed his brows and looked at Taehyung who had seemed to have understood as much as he did.
With a fast move the youngest jumped out of his stash, the vase in a strong grip and ready to smash it against anyone's head who dared to near.

But there was no one.

Jungkook stared at the kitchen, moving closer and realised that is has been the radio.
"The signal has to be here again" Taehyung mumbled behind him.
"I didn't turn it off yesterday, in hope the wave would come back and send news or whatever. Seems like it returned and woke us up, huh?"
"Shh" Jungkook gestured him to shut and hurried to the radio. It was silent for a short moment, than a male voice appeared.
"This is an emergency. This is not an exercise. Please listen closely to the following words. We are sending on every frequency. Please inform your neighbours and family and other close people in your surroundings about this message. Now please listen closely"
The radio crackled and Taehyung stared at Jungkook.
Another, deeper male voice cleared its throat before the man began to speak.
"This is an emergency. We have to summon everybody who is listening to this message to come to the next possible and near national border. An unknown disease has contaminated citizens and tourists and is spreading widely all over the country. This is a difficult situation and we advise everyone to pack only necessary things and to move in groups of no more than five persons. Too much air contact is unadvisable for everyone and there is a need to wear mouth masks. When you will arrive at a close border sentinel you will be shortly undergo a medical check. If you are not infected, you will be allowed to join the next waves of refugees on the ferry to Japan and China. If you are infected ..."
The man sighed heavily.
"May god stay by your side"
A moment of silence before a mechanical voice said the words 'This announcement will be repeated unlimited times until it gets turn off' and Jungkook stared at his hands.
"Is this a joke?"
Taehyung shoved his friend gently away and fumbled at the radio to set another frequency.
But on any other wave was just the same message.
"Jungkook, please get the phones"
The boy obeyed, his head spinning as his mind was repeating the same words over and over again.
He grabbed his and Taehyung's phone from the table in the living room and hurried back, gave the blonde his phone.
Both dialled their home's land line phone numbers, but there was no signal. Not even a toot.
Jungkook stared blankly at the opposite wall.
"This is not possible" he noticed Taehyung mumbling, the blonde began to fumble with the phone and the radio, tried to turn on the TV, just to receive the same result as yesterday evening.
This was crazy. This just couldn't be true.
"Hey, Jungkook, are you okay?"
Taehyung put their phones on the table and looked at his friend in a worried way.
"No" the youngest shook his head.
"This feels like a nightmare. And my parents are somewhere out there"
Taehyung exhaled deeply and pulled his friend into his arms.
Jungkook let himself get handled, but didn't react. He was too shocked.
"I am sure they are okay"
"But the men from yesterday..."
"Maybe they knew about this disease and had saved them ..."
"But how could they have known? And who were they?"
Jungkook lifted his arms and closed them around the blonde's body.
"What is this here? Hidden camera? A trick? A game? Reality?"
Taehyung stayed quiet.
He had no idea. If this was real, there had to be evidences for those contaminated people.
And the real question was - at which level was the disease when the state - at least Taehyung thought it was the state - called out such an emergency?
Taehyung shivered slightly but held his younger friend, trying to be some kind of parent, what he knew, he would never going to be.
"Don't worry, I'll be with you"
He heard Jungkook sob. "You were right, Tae. Today the world is completely different"