The Princess is Sick: Preath and Mal (part 3)

(Tobin's POV)

"Press, calm down," I soothed, rocking her back and forth.

The hospital forced us to leave. Mal still wasn't in stable condition, so I had a freaking out Press in my arms. My phone went off.

<Coach J>

Team meeting in the lobby

I sighed and helped Press stand up. She leaned on me as we walked to the elevator. JJ and Alex were in there too. Press and I both gave each other this look, and separated. I went into Alex's arms and she went into JJ's.

"You okay?" Alex asked, and I shook my head. She held me tighter.

We made it to the lobby. JJ and Press sat together, and I sat on the other side of Press. Alex sat on the other side of me. Press leaned her head on my should as it began.

"Alright ladies," Jill started. "So by now, most of you should know that our youngest player, Mallory, is in the hospital. We just got some news back that today her right lung collapsed. They're working on bringing her back to stable condition, but luckily she was in the hospital when it happened so she was taken care of quickly. They think she's gonna be fine, but until we know for sure practice is cancelled and our friendly scheduled in England is too."

We all nodded or mumbled "Okay". I looked over at Press, who was now leaning on JJ. She was silently crying. When Jill said we could leave I scooped her up into my arms. When we were in the elevator it was the two of us, JJ, Alex, and Hinkle. As we were getting off, she stopped me. "What do you want?" I growled.

"Look, I know we don't always get along," she said honestly. "But I just wanna say I'm sorry if anything happens to Mal. She's a good kid. I've got her in my prayers."

I gave her a small smile. I'd never seen Hinkle be that nice. She rubbed my arm awkwardly and went to her room. I carried Press back into our room. I got a text from Dawn.

<Dawn>

Bring Press downstairs, we're going to the hospital

I picked Press back up and took her downstairs. It was just the two of us and Dawn when we got to her car. We drove to the hospital in silence, with occasional sniffling from Press.

We got to the hospital and went upstairs. A doctor was still in Mal's room. We sat down in the chairs in total silence. Dawn checked her phone for a while and Press just stared into space. I heard her cough a couple times, making me nervous. The last thing I needed was both of them in the hospital. I rubbed her back when she coughed, earning a small, weak smile from her.

The doctor came out and sighed. I didn't like the way he was looking at us. He had that look in his eye like something was wrong. I didn't know what yet, I just knew it was something. He motioned for the three of us to follow him to a different room. It reminded me of the room he took us to when they told us she had pneumonia and bronchitis. We sat in the chairs again, him sitting in front of us today.

"We're afraid Mallory is going to be having a pretty bad time," he explained. "Her right lung was ruptured, luckily we were able to get her on a breathing monitor and it saved her. We went into immediate surgery after that, saving her lung. We were lucky she was here or it could have been a lot worse. At the moment she is barely able to talk, and she's having horrible shortness of breath. She says her chest hurts and I'm concerned if we release her it could get worse. We'd like to keep her in here for a few more days."

We all nodded. "Can I see her?" Press pleaded, her eyes glassy.

"Only one of you may."

"You go Press," Dawn urged. "She'd want you to see you anyways."

Press nodded and got up. We walked back with her to Mal's room. I then got on my knees and prayed that this kid was going to be okay.

(Press' POV)

I walked into the room to find Mal staring at the ceiling. She didn't seem to hear me come in, so she didn't notice me until I went, "Hey sweetie."

She looked at me and I saw something in her I had never seen in her before. Weakness. She gave me the best smile she could manage, then went back to staring at the ceiling. I walked over to the side of her bed, and held her hand. She looked at me and coughed. "Love you Mama," she whispered.

"I love you too Princess," I whispered.

Her eyes began to close sleepily. "No, Princess, you have to stay awake," I urged. "If you fall asleep..."

"But Mama," she whined. "I'm tired."

"I know, and I promise when you get out you can sleep as much as you want, just not now, please baby."

Mal sighed and sat up a bit. I kissed her forehead and sat on her bed next to her. She snuggled up to me and I wrapped my arms around her. "I love you Mal," I whispered.

"I love you too Mama."

...

(No one's POV)

About a week later Mal was out of the hospital. She was mad though, this meant she wasn't allowed to play soccer for a month. Press kissed her forehead as they got on the bus. She sat next to her and let Mal sleep, just like she had promised. "Thanks for taking care of me Mama," she told her for the fifth time that day.

"Like I said five times now," Press said. "I will always take care of my Princess. All you ever have to do is call."

Mal nodded and snuggled up to her. The bus began moving and Mal was out like a light. Press chuckled as a thought popped into her head.

Yes Mal, you can sleep now.