M.U.S.E Chapter 27

I had been numb for quiet some time after that day. Finn and I were on the move for a while until I met a lovely old lady at the park who was lost. Obvious Alzheimer's and given my past history and my ability to work with those affected previously, I just couldn't leave her. I helped her home and it was such a nice house with a flowery comfy sofa, fresh bread and butter and tea made from tea leaves that I agreed to stay one night to keep her company and help her to collect her medicine tomorrow.

Two months on and we were still there. Finn still wasn't speaking. He hadn't spoke since Darren died. He had nightmares and was back in pull ups at night as he wet too often to upset him with wet beds.

"Elsie, are you feeling ok?" I asked as she looked very pale and I watched her face change and slacken on one side. I reached for the phone and dialled emergency services. "I need an ambulance please, my aunt is having stroke," I informed them and gave the address. "It's ok Elsie we are here with you," I said as I knew she was scared.

I followed instructions given on the phone and opened the door when the ambulance came. Finn stood with tears in his eyes watching and when they left with her he ran into my arms and cried silently. He knew!

Elsie survived another 4 days before she died as the stroke had weakening her heart. Her family didn't arrive in time to say goodbye as they were living abroad so Finn and I stayed with her and held her hand. As far as the family were concerned I was her live in carer and as Finn and I moved on I felt as though I had finally done some good with my life and helped a lonely old lady live again for a while and not die alone.

I took Finn to a place in a magazine he would often look at in the hospital which had a steam train on the front. We road the train and his face lit up. I fought the imagine of.... No I wouldn't say her name... enjoying it too. Instead I would wait till Finn was asleep in my arms and plan somewhere new to take him when he couldn't see the tears.

We stopped to have meal on the way to our next place and Finn watched other children playing and cheering as one of them celebrated a birthday. I realised that not only ad Finn not played with any other children, even at the park but he hadn't had a birthday and I didn't know what day he was born. I tried to count back to when John had brought him home and it was almost a year.

"It's your birthday soon Finn," I said. He looked at me astonished. "Where shall we go?" I asked.

He didn't answer but instead stared at the other children and took everything in.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked him. He took my hand and we left. He stopped for a moment as one little boy ran up to him and gave him a party bag to take home with him. The mother smiled at her little boy as I said "Thank you," and Finn grabbed my leg to hide behind. When we got outside and onto a bus. He looked into the bag and his eyes lit up as he found a toy car, sweets, cake, a yoyo and some crayon with a little pad to scribble on.

A week later as we travelled on again I carried him in the chemist to get him some medicine. He was sick. He was ok earlier and just all of a sudden this past hour he was.... Different... alarming different. Something inside me just panicked as I ran into the chemist.

"I need some medicine for my son," I advised the pharmacist.

"What are his symptoms?" she asked. I reeled them off and she told me to wait as she went out back.

"May I take a look?" a man asked coming from behind the counter with the pharmacist. His expression of concern was what stopped me interfering as he took Finn to a room at the side where they take blood and lay him on the bed to assess him. Finn was too ill to cry and as the man moved his legs around he moaned. Shining a light into his eyes, he flinched and the mans face made me feel sick to my stomach as I knew it something serious.