names.

NAMES.

"you don't like being called Princess, do you Princess?" - finn collins
-
❧ names are a huge part of your character. it's very important to pick a name that describes your character well, and fits them as person (their personality, but also their background). for example, if you're writing a book about a girl in the 1700's, you aren't going to name your character something like "Skyler" or "Meagan", you're probably going to name her something like "Elizabeth", "Margaret", or "Anna".

❧ the name of your OC obviously depends on what gender your character will be, and also where they are from (i.e., the ark, the ground, mt. weather, etc) below i will provide a list of possible names for each gender. not all of them are the best, but i figured i would just put a few examples to inspire you all.

❧ another extra tip to consider is not naming your character something too similar to the name of another character because it gets confusing for readers. (for example don't name your OC Bella bc awks Bellamy, or Finley bc awks Finn, or Rayna bc akws Raven ETC ETC...)

-

T H E A R K

*NOTE: while many of the citizens of the Ark have more 'unique/futeristic' names like the ones i provided below (i.e.: Bellamy, Monty, Clarke, Raven, etc), some also have more 'regular' names (i.e.: Marcus, John, Abby, Jasper, etc) so also feel free to name your character a 'regular' name as well.

girls name ideas:
- aspen
- addison (addy)
- alivia
- celeste
- emerson
- esme
- iris
- sage
- taya
- willa

boy name ideas:
- aster
- cato
- blaise
- lewis
- seb
- bruno

G R O U N D E R S

*NOTE: the grounders have super unique names for places and people, and a lot of them come from places and/or historical figures. for example: the name 'ontari' comes from 'ontario', a province in canada. nia comes from niagara falls. lexa is from alexandria, VA. emori comes from the word memorial. the name of their village tondc comes from washinton DC. lincoln is from abraham lincoln...etc. this is a cool tip to keep in mind while coming up with names for any grounder characters you may create as you write.

i came up with a few grounder name examples, but it's sort of hard and time consuming so i just did 4 examples for each gender. (ps they aren't the best sorry) also, you don't HAVE to use this strategy/method when coming up with a name for your grounder characters, i just thought it was an interesting, useful tip.

girl names:
- delphia (from philadelphia, PA)
- falo (from the buffalo, NY)
- nova (from nova soctia)
- toria (from victoria, BC)

boy names:
- cago (from chicago, IL)
- enver (from denver, CO)
- onto (from toronto, ON)
- couver (from vancouver, BC)

M O U N T W E A T H E R:

*NOTE: when it comes to the people of mount weather, you can pretty much use any semi normal name. it's kind of similar to the Ark. some characters have more normal names, like Maya Vie, Carl Emerson, Lorelei Tsing, etc. while other (blood sucking, creepy idiots) have names like Cage Wallace. so if your OC comes from Mount Weather, it's totally fine if you want to name them something more 'normal', but if you have some super unique name that you're dying to use you could probably get away with it.

because i can, i'll just put a super short list of more 'regular' names that i really like and could be useable.

girl names: (all from the top 100 baby names of 2017)
- ava
- emma
- hanna
- madelyn
- sofia
- sadie

boy names: (all from the top 100 baby names of 2017)
- aaron
- aiden
- dylan
- grayson
- mason
- noah

SO there you go. i hope this was helpful! comment any cool name ideas you have. again, if you have any questions or suggestions feel free to message me directly or comment and i will try to respond as soon as possible. xoxo