siblings.

SIBLINGS.

"my sister, my responsibility." - bellamy blake
-
❧ okay, i want to start with a disclaimer. it's not a BAD thing to have your OC have a sibling. it's just something you need to be very careful with and think through. you want to be realistic. here some ideas/strategies you can use:

1. pick your OC's sibling carefully. for example it's not very likely Clarke Griffin would have a sibling because she's from Alpha Station and her mother is very loyal to the Ark and wouldn't break a law unless she had a REALLY good reason.

2.  don't give your OC a sibling unless it's vital to their plot. if your OC's sibling isn't doing anything to spur your plot forward and they're just kind of awkwardly there, why have one? it's unnecessary & will just complicate your story.

3. another strategy could be making your OC's siblings another OC that you make up. that's what i did for my story! that way your story has more flexibility, and your OC's sibling doesn't have to be another teen in lockup, they could be a way older or way younger sibling. you can have one sibling on the Ark and one on the ground, etc.

4. write carefully. siblings can be an interesting twist to a "the 100" fanfic but you have to be very careful with how you go about doing it.

IN SUMMARY, your OC doesn't have to have a sibling! it's not like a requirement or anything. if you can pull it off well, a sibling can be a great asset to your book, however you can write just as good of a book without them. be careful and remember not to add a sibling just for kicks. only use a sibling if it's crucial to your plot!