human body.

LIMITS OF THE HUMAN BODY.

"i'm done following orders." - octavia blake

-
i finally got inspired and wrote this late last night so if there's any errors forgive me!

☞ if you're writing a fanfic for the 100, it's pretty inevitable that your OC is not going to survive earth unscathed. what i mean to say, is they're going to get hurt, and probably endure some pretty sucky situations physically.

☞ obviously you're writing a fan fiction, so your book is in fact fiction, so in theory really anything could happen to your character. but you're also not writing about some mythical world, the story does take place on earth and your characters are human, so you should try your best to be as realistic as possible when it comes to injuries and dangerous situations.

☞ for example don't do any of these:

- oc was held underwater by her grounder captor for 10 minutes. then, he fell over, shot dead by monty. she came up gasping for breath, thankful that her friend saved her life.

YOU CANT SURVIVE 10 MINUTES UNDERWATER UNLESS YOUR PERCY JACKSON OR SOME TYPE OF MERMAID!!!!!!

- oc was running through the forest, when suddenly an arrow pierced through his heart. he tugged it out, grunting in pain, but continued running back towards the drop ship. once he got there, Clarke, the love of his life, asked him if he was okay. "it's just a scratch Princess," he responded.

NO. UNLESS YOUR OC IS DAVY FREAKING JONES AND HAS HIS ACTUAL HEART LOCKED AWAY IN A CHEST YOUR OC IS NOT GOING TO SURVIVE GETTING AN ARROW THROUGH THE HEART.

☞ i want to point out, i'm not saying you can't ever let your OC go through a physically challenging situation, or get hurt, i just mean do a bit of research to make sure you aren't turning your OC into a demigod or pirate legend.

☞ another thing tip is to keep track of any injuries characters in your book have, and research how long it typically would take an injury like it to heal. for example, don't do this:

chapter one: OC is on mission to get supplies from mount weather. She follows Octavia into the river and is also attacked by the sea-snake. It bites her badly in the right hand. After she is safely on shore, Clarke bandages the injury up, and tells OC it will take a while to heal so be easy on it.

chapter two: The next day your OC is getting ready to help rescue Jasper. She wants to be prepared so she is practicing her bow and arrow skills just outside the camp while waiting for the others.

BUT DUDE! YOUR HAND LITERALLY JUST GOT EATEN BY A FREAKING RADIOACTIVE FREAKING SEA SNAKE YESTERDAY YOU AREN'T GOING TO WIELDING A BOW & ARROW WITH THAT HAND FOR AT LEAST A WEEK!!!!!!!!!

☞ SO. here's sort of a guide to the limits of the human body. it's not like super detailed, so if you want specifics you'll probably have to do research yourself, but it's a start!

-

🔥HEAT:

- when a person's core body temperature hits 107.6 degrees fahrenheit heatstroke can't be reversed and will prove fatal.

- in a burning building, or a deep mine, forest fire, etc adults can survive 10 minutes at 300 degrees fahrenheit.

🌊 WATER:

- if submerged in cold water, the water will zap body heat. a person would last barely 30 minutes in a 40 degrees fahrenheit body of water.

- when deep diving without equipment, people black out before reaching 2 minutes once they are below 60 feet.