~ Chapter Thirty-Four ~

Chapter Thirty-Four ~ What Feels Like The Most Longest Day

~Tate's POV~

I hear his voice from outside the room, goosebumps risen on my skin with my heart pounding in my chest. Beat after beat it thuds wanting to break my skin. I hear the door click to an open and my heart thuds one more time before my brain is telling my face to look at him. There I see him, looking more handsome in his suit but stress and tiredness showing clear on his facial features.

I don't know how I forced myself to come today. I mean yesterday I saw him with Josie smiling and his arm resting on her shoulder. It took time for me to decide, I couldn't sleep well and I spent the early morning pacing back and fourth.

Dressed in my black pencil skirt and white blouse with dark heels I sit patiently, watching him with my bag on my lap for my fingers to fiddle with. I'm going back to work today as I feel like it will be good for me; all I need to do is ignore the stares and people's thoughts. I already got some walking through the doors of this building.

He slowly walks through and closes the door behind him before the room goes silent. Dead silent. The tension in the room going hard and full or suspense, sadness, guilt and anger. I watch his jaw clench as his feet move him round his desk, taking a seat in his office chair. A shaky quiet breath comes out my mouth making me realise that I was holding my breath in. The silence continues, his eyes blaring into me making me look down from nerves and wanting to leave the room, so I decided to start.

"Asher-" I start before getting cut of by his voice. His hands clenched on his desk while he stares into my soul, his voice dark and full of no emotion; dull.

"What do you want Tate?!" He snaps at me and my mouth gapes open but closes. "Why are you here?" He asks again, more blunt in his voice then anything else.

"I want to talk" I whisper with my voice full of sorrow. His throats lets of a harsh scoff at my words and I move my eyes upwards to see his cold ones.

"You can say" a deep chuckle erupts from him, the chuckle being scary but not as terrifying as the smirk that comes next.

"Asher I want to say I can explain but I can't form the words to do it and to express how bad I feel" my words express. His eyes narrow on me causing my heart to pump louder.

"You can't explain to me how your abusive ex found you and came to our engagement party which ended with you breaking it off with me!" He snaps loudly at me, I wince at his tone but I wince at the truth. "So tell me Tate how can you not explain that?!" He questions harshly.

"I don't want to fight Asher, I want to talk" I try to calm him down but it ends up with more rage coming off him like a wave. He stands up and walks to his large window which faces the city.

"Ok well can you tell my why you broke it off with me?" He says, trying to remain calm even if I know he's still not impressed with this situation.

"I...I- well... well I was scared" I said to him in shaky breaths. My words were the truth and they caused the room to go silent again. I look towards him to see he's still facing the city view, body tense and unresponsive. It felt like he was going to say something until his office phone rung and we heard his assistants voice leaving a voice mail.

"Sir, Miss Josie Fuller is here for your lunch date" the voice mail says and I felt my eyes go watery. Of course he goes back to his first love- how could I be so stupid! I see Asher turn around as I stand up, we look at each other with painful expressions; longing expressions.

"You may leave now Miss Pierce" he says quietly and it hurts. Those two last words were painful to me mentally. I nod my head and walk to the door, hearing his footsteps head back to his desk. I stop at the door and turn to face him to discover he's looking at his laptop.