Chapter 5 : Stuff It

The next day I heard a few knocks on my door. By his intoxicating scent, I already knew it was the King. His height intimidated me, his broad figure making me feel small.

Freaky giant.

"Come and eat," His face looked strained as he said, "please." I raised a brow at him, wondering why he would make an effort to invite me. He never seemed interested in being pleasant with me before, why start now?

"Wouldn't it be easier if I just starved to death in this place you call 'home'?" I muttered.

He took a deep breath, obviously trying to keep his cool as much as I was.

As silence filled the room, I decided to go, walking straight past him. When my arm brushed his, the tingles it had created did not go unnoticed but I shrugged them off anyway. I briskly walked down the stairs waving a friendly hello to Sebastian.

"So you've decided to join us?" I nodded taking a seat at the table.

I shrugged, not saying anything. I've been up in that room for what felt like ages. I don't think being cooped up in there is in my best interest.

I could hear the King coming down the steps with heavy thuds and I didn't bother to turn around. As he sat down I wondered why we haven't eaten yet.

"Alice should be here soon." He said, answering my unvoiced question.

"Who's Alice?" I asked. Almost as if on cue, Alice walked into the room out of breath, quickly taking a seat beside Sebastian after giving him a chaste peck on the cheek. I internally envied them, wishing for the same type of affection from my own mate.

Before we began to eat dinner I introduced myself to her, "Hi, you must be Alice." I said timidly.

"And you must be this twat's mate." She countered with a laugh, pointing her thumb at her brother. I couldn't help but smile, trying to suppress a laugh of my own. He rolled his eyes at us and for once began talking as well.

It was an odd feeling, interacting with others normally. I pretended to act at ease, flashing Alice a friendly smile.

"This is Alice, my sister." He grumbled. The Female Beta of the back was the Alpha's sister. Not to mention her mate was his best friend. How funny.

After a few moments had passed, I coughed, "Tragic," under my breath.

Immediately, she began laughing at my comment, my cheeks reddening at the sudden attention.

"I like her," Alice said.

"Charlotte..." He began, warning me to stop my behavior. I looked down at my plate, terrified of his possible reactions. I knew that was a bad idea, now I was surely going to be punished.

I wonder where the Royals kept their room. Maybe all packs have them?

"Oh put a sock in it, you dog." Sebastian said, cutting the silence. Trying my best not to smile, I gave him a grateful look before turning my attention back to the fuming Alpha.

"You better watch your mouth or--"

"Or what?" Alice prompted, "Paws off my mate."

A recovered Sebastian sent him a triumphant look of his own, angering his friend even further. With a huff, the Alpha pushed his chair back in roughly, storming upstairs.

After dinner the boys helped clean up the table. As I was putting a dish away while the guys popped open some champagne I broke the plate, successfully creating a gash in my hand. I hissed in pain.

The Alpha made his way over in an instant, "What happened?"He said worriedly, lifting my hand in his own. Since my wolf wasn't as actively present anymore, only there when I shift, the cut wasn't healing very quickly.

"I cut it on a broken plate. I'm sorry."

He exhaled, grabbing some bandage from a nearby cabinet to wrap up my hand, making sure there weren't any glass remnants left in the cut. Once my hand was clean, I took a small painkiller her provided me with. "You aren't doing dishes anymore." He said, his tone serious.

I didn't reply, afraid of saying the wrong words.

He left the kitchen, and I felt instantly relieved. Minutes later, I heard Alice calling and went over to the couch to talk with her, picking up a small glass of water on the way over.

That night we talked for hours, explaining to one another our hobbies, likes, and dislikes. She was a fun gal and I enjoyed spending time with her, hopefully she feels the same way about our new friendship in the making.

My first friend in years.