62 | wake me up

I tried carrying the weight of the world
But I only have two hands
Hope I get the chance to travel the world
But I don't have any plans
Wish that I could stay forever this young
Not afraid to close my eyes
Life's a game made for everyone
And love is a prize.”

---

62 | wake me up

(As a tribute to the iconic Avicii. May your soul rest in peace ❤️)

-Olivia-

When I was a kid, I used to have nightmares about being stabbed in the back repeatedly. At one point, I used to get them every night, and I used to wake up screaming. At the age of 7, they became more detailed and frequent than ever. Soon, I started puking in fear and I had developed a habit of hurting myself in sleep in order to minimize the effect of those nightmares.

It was unnatural and unexplainable as to why I got those nightmares as a kid. A small 7 year old isn't supposed to dream about crime and violence being inflicted upon them.

That too such detailed and graphically accurate ones. They were repetitive. Every night I got the same dream. I had started hating sleeping. Afraid that I'll witness the same horror again.

Mom and dad talked about the problem to each other and the pack's village, and soon I was given sedatives that were mixed with chemicals which had an inhibitory effect on my pons. Pons is a part of your hind brain which is believed to be associated with dreams.

Those sedatives did prevent me from getting the nightmares but their long term use had a horrendous effect on my CNS and I used to feel drowsy all day.

After about an year of using it, my father urged me to give them up and with difficulty, I did.

It was hard to not embrace that kind of oblivion again.

But the thing is that if your body is accustomed to a certain kind of drug, after sometime, it starts getting resistant to it. So much so, it doesn't have the same effect on you as before. You need more quantity to get the same response.

Maybe that is the reason why Patricia's dose or syringe didn't work as long on me as she had probably expected because when I woke up in the cellar, I was completely alone.

With a little bit of sunshine coming through the tiny window, the room was pretty dark, it smelled in here.

But I was okay with it. I felt safe for the while. With no one in vicinity threatening to electrocute me to death, I was really okay.

Also it gave me a little time to think.

I feel like they had given me the sedatives just so that I won't be able to think.

I didn't want to waste time crying over and whining about what my life has come to. I actually wanted to think about escaping this time.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes. By the way Patricia described the threats of this place and amount of security, I don't think I'll be able to make it out alive if I try to run.

A part of me didn't want to believe her. But at the position I was in, risk wasn't something I could afford.

One mistake and I could be dead.