Chapter 19: I chose to leave

LAILA POV

"Are you sure you want to go there?"

Brian's eyes widen in shock when he heard my request to change the place to drop me off.

"Don't worry I can handle it. Besides, I know this day will happen anyway. I can't keep running away from them." I said to him.

"If you say so." just then his phone rings. He stopped the car for a while to see who the caller is. "What?"

The expression on his face seems unsure. He sighed a lot and I can't help but feel uneasy as well.

"Fine. Do what else you can and report to me as soon as possible." after that, he turned and looked at me. "Laila, it seems like someone is out to get you."

"What do you mean," I asked.

"Seems like the same person who put your friend in jail is the same person behind that article though I don't know why."

"I might," I recall what Henry had told me before and what Brian had commented earlier.

So it is because of Jer again. I'm being targeted because of my connection with him. I should have realised this sooner. If she hated me she should just have gone straight to me. There's no need to defame Henry and made him suffer.

I told Brian what I just realize and asked him if he could also help me send an anonymous letter to them, to tell the truth, or else they would all suffer the same way they did to Henry.

"You've really changed. Though I can understand it. But it seems there's more to you disappearing before."

"I had to fight back. I learned that I can't be the same as before."

"Anyway, I'm surprised you asked for my help. I thought you'll go to Jer for this," he said.

************************************
Jeremy POV

"What do you want mom?"

"I want you here at the house for dinner. Be here or else you'll suffer a consequence." My mom demanded on the other line of the phone.

"I'm not five and I'm busy right now."

"I don't care how busy you are. Be here for dinner. That's an order." I was about to answer back when she cut off the line.

For some reason, my mom chose today to pester me with her tantrums. Why can't she just stay away touring with dad or something so that she can't disturb me?

I was ready to go when Brian entered my office. "Why are you here?"

He took a step back and hold up his hand in surrender. "Relax dude. I just came by to remind you of Nate's party. You need to come or else that guy wouldn't let us off the hook. Remember college?"

I pinched the bridge of my nose as I remember. Nate's one of the closest friends I have. "Fine, I'll go."

"By the way, have you heard anything from Laila?" Brian asked which made me pay attention to him.

"What about her?"

"Well, it seems that she's being dragged into the Henry problem. It turns out that the same people are behind the scandals about them. I just found out about the person claiming that Laila plagiarizes her work. I'm actually about to meet her." Brian recalled.