Chapter 20: Your mom will kill me.

*****Five years ago*****

There was a downpour. The rain pours down like the tears in Laila's eyes. She's about to make the biggest decision she'll ever have. She knows that she might regret doing it but she had become desperate. This was the only thing she can think of that will make all her pain go away.

"Are you sure of what you are asking me?" A deep voice had brought her out of her thoughts.

"I already had thought about it. I want you to help me." She pleaded, her voice cracking.

"Why does it seem like your heart is telling you the opposite thing?"

"I have to do this. If I don't then things won't change. We'll both be miserable. He needs to see that I can't always be the girl he wants me to be. I can't give the one thing I worked so much hard for just because a prince came my way and showered me with everything."

"Most girls would have wanted that. They won't need to work a sweat." He had known from the start that she was different and this moment had proven him right.

Right now, there is this girl determined to make herself worth it. Someone who won't rely on money and someone who can't be swayed by it.

"Tell me, why would I do that?" He starts to question.

Laila took a deep breath and wipe the tears that had streamed down her face. "You'll have your son back."

"What you're asking me will make me a bad father. If he found out, he'll think I chase you away." He stated.

"He won't. He'll never know. All I ask is for you to help me get away. For you to stop him from ever finding and going after me. For you to make him focus on his business so that he won't have time to think about me. I want you to help me disappear in his life." She pleaded once more.

He can't help but wonder why she would want that. He never had opposed her. He's actually fond of her and seeing her plead to him like this makes his heartache. He knew that she is in pain and what his son had done.

"I know that my son had made things worse for you. But he at least needs to know about what happened to your family." He tried to persuade her.

"It won't help. He'll never listen. He's occupied with this idea of me being this perfect for him that he won't see the truth. I just want both of us to be free from all of this."

He thought for a while. He knows he can't change her mind and even if he won't agree, she will find a way.

"I'll occupy him with our business. I'll give you everything you need. I'll prepare a place for you-"

"No," she cuts him off. " I don't need money nor connection from your family. All I ask is to help me stop your son from going after me."

"Fine. I will do it."

*********************************

Laila POV

"We need to do something," Tina stated. " We can't just sit here and do nothing. If what you say is true then we need to clear everything."

"It seems like this will be a tough case." Our lawyer said. "They are not just ordinary people we can easily sue. They'll probably do the same thing they did with Henry. We need to gather as much evidence and a strong case to fight them."

"I'm already doing that. I just need you to help us with the legal stuff and to make sure they pay for what they did." I told him.

He pinched the bridge of his nose as he rereads the documents. "It seems like knowing their weak spots will be a great help. We need to first manage to prove that Henry didn't cause the accident and that those who were injured tell the truth. I'll meet them and see what I can do but I'm sure they were bribed."

"Then say will give them twice the money they receive. They need to say the truth about what happened then only then we can make the investigation open again." I said.

"I know you want to solve this Laila but where are we even getting that much money?" Tina asked.

"Don't worry I figure it all out," I answered her.

"You should know that they even manage to persuade the producers to not release the movie and make us pay for it. They already sent the statement. The actors are also affected by." Tina told me.

I was only left with the feeling of closing my eyes and never waking up. How can I not see that one?

"What I can suggest is for you to find another sponsor that can back you up. There will be other companies that are now venturing into the entertainment business." He suggested. "

"I already tried but it seems like they had blocked us from doing that," Tina said.

"Laila, you are a household name now. I'm sure a lot out there are wanting to have you work for them."

"I'll have to think about that. With what is happening, I don't think I can risk anything again."

After a few more discussions our meeting was dismissed and I was left alone at my office. Tina escorted our lawyer out and I know she is still asking for alternatives.

"I will kill that bastard!" I grumbled.

"I haven't done anything yet," Jer said as he entered my office and closed the door. It's actually just a small space for me to stay at whenever I felt like staying here working. There's nothing much since I do most of my work at my home.

Tina had also provided this because of my last unexpected visitor.

I looked at Jer. He was holding a cup of iced coffee in his left hand and without thinking, I snatched it away from him and started drinking.

"Okay, clearly you are upset. What just happened?" He asked me.

"I'll tell you what if they think they can use me and threaten me well they are wrong." I snapped at him.

"What are you talking about?"

"She had a problem with me so why didn't take it on me right away? She doesn't need to ask his uncle and let someone else suffer!" I continued, pacing back and front behind my desk while drinking the coffee.

Jer then came closer and pulled me into his chest making me stop moving and made me stare into his eyes.

"Now, calm down and tell me what is going on." He looked at me.

At that moment I felt like I was shocked back into reality I immediately pushed him away.

"What are you doing here anyway?"

He then puts an eco bag on my desk, "After you storm out before dinner. Mom gave me an earful of lecture and made me send this to you. It was all your favourite food plus I also bought some strawberries."

"I don't like strawberries. I'm allergic to them." I said in a 'duh' tone.

"I know that. They are not for you. Your mom will kill me if I forgot about her. I know how much she loves them."

It was like I was shocked again. This time a feeling of someone cutting you on your wound making it raw again. I feel my breathing hitched at that moment.

"Laila?" Jer tried to comfort me but I stopped him.

I ran away from him like I've done a thousand times already. I left him confused. Of course he doesn't know. But how can he not know it yet? He had all the connections he needs so he must have known already.