Chapter 28

Alexa's PoV

My eyes slowly opened to the sound of my phone ringing.

Letting out a muffled groan and lifting my head from my pillow, I reached for it on my bedside table. The number displayed belonged to Will and I pressed answer whilst hoping he had a good reason for waking me up so early on a saturday.

"Yeah?" I closed my eyes after returning to my original position on the bed.

"I talked to Max about what you told me.."

After the first second he already had my full attention, so I sat up in bed and wondered what I had told him earlier.

"He says you can stay with him for the next two weeks." Will finished his sentence.

My heart hammered in my chest. He wants me to stay with him? I didn't know if that was a good idea, with Isaac and the whole pack there I wasn't sure if I'd fit in and I didn't want to trouble them. Plus, staying with Max...

"I'm not sure that's a good idea.." I bit my lip, pensive.

"How about you talk to him." I heard a laugh and voice in the background, as though there was someone else there, it also seemed like they were running and things were crashing but I couldn't make out most of it.

Suddenly the noise stopped and I heard the phone being passed. I waited in anticipation to know what was going on.

"Lex." A low voice breathed out my name and sent a shiver down my spine. My eyes widened as I wasn't expecting it and I didn't really know what to say.

"M-Max." I stupidly stuttered since I didn't know how to act around him. I hadn't seen him since the trip where I agreed to be his girlfriend and I didn't know where that put us.

"Are you okay with it? I wasn't sure whether you would agree and I need to tell you something before you come but I was hoping it would be okay with you." He tried to explain, yet he seemed completely unaware of the effect he had on me and the reason behind my stuttering earlier. 

I clutched my phone tighter. "Yeah. I think it'd be good, its only two weeks anyways."

Wait. That's not at all what I was thinking earlier. Alexa what are you doing?

I heard him breathe out a sigh of relief. "That's good, I thought you would be against it. But I need to explain to you, the Red Moon pack is here."

"What?!" I nervously played with my pillow on my lap.

"They were attacked by hunters so we're helping them by letting them stay here for a while. If hunters are involved we're going to have to join forces against them. But don't worry, I won't let anything hurt you."

My tensed muscles seemed to relax as I sighed, his words sent warmth coursing through my body. I felt safer, even though it was stupid, but having him say that he'd protect me.. something in me believed him.

"Okay, I trust you." I declared, confidently agreeing to stay with him.

"Good, but you know you would be staying in the room next to mine on the top floor, the Red Moon Pack will be staying downstairs so you shouldn't run into them."