4. big news

June 5th, 1986. Curt and my house. 9:23 A.M.

The constant ringing phone woke the house up, "Curt grab the phone." I moaned, still half sleep and unable to even open my eyes. I felt the bed shift slightly, except it was in my direction, "Curt."

"No. You." he replies in a croaky morning voice. I bury my face in the pillow trying to block out the sound, "You're closer!" I say.

He finally sighs, reaching his arm out and trying to find the phone which should be right next to the bed. His hand wasn't even near the damn phone before he gives up.

We both groan out loud at the endless ringing repeats itself. The sound of thumping footsteps closes in on the door, Roland storms in clearly annoyed at having been woken up, he see's the two of us laying innocently, "You two are useless!" he spat, picking up and pushing the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" he answered, his voice raspy and nodding as the person on the other end speaks. A sudden change of mood, makes Curt and I sit up quickly, "We will be there." He yawned, running a hand through his tanged hair.

"Who was that? Curt asked, slugging his feet out of bed. Roland follows him into the bathroom and leans against the door frame as Curt urinates.

"Manny. We have an emergency band meeting in an hour." He says, "And no before you ask I have absolutely no idea what it's about."

Roland rushed home to get ready, while Curt jumped into the shower. I sat on the counter top in the bathroom, listening to his rambled talking, "I wonder what the meeting is about." I say, truly curious as they barely get meetings as a simple band from Bath.

"Not sure." He hummed out loud, "Maybe it's our big break."

June 5th, 1986. The meeting. 11:31 A.M.

I tagged along to the meeting, I didn't have work today and I hate sitting around the house waiting for Curt to get home. We have been waiting here for over an hour, someone must've gotten the times wrong.

Kate and Roland arrived at the same time as us, she immediately comes over to me and before I knew it, she was brushing my hair out of it's ponytail, "Darling, you need to use better conditioner. Did you hear that Curt? She needs better hair products." She pats my shoulder before leaning down to my ear, "Men need direction." She whispers with a chuckle. I shrug, and mimic the laugh, honestly wanting to get the hell away from her.

I glance over to Roland who was tuning his guitar, his eyes match mine and I look away quickly, slightly embarrassed. I tried to look at him again, but the door swung open, and Martin, the manager stepped inside.

A couple of seconds passed before Ian and Manny strut into the room, cackling at us before being so early, Roland snaps a stern glare at them. "Okay. Everyone settle down, I have some big news!" Martin exclaims happily.

"What is it?" Roland asked, wanting to hurry up and get out of here. "Tear for Fear is opening for Spandau Ballet!" The boys looked at each other, their faces were brighter than I've ever seen, it didn't take long before them to all stand up and hug each other.

"We finally made it!" "I can't believe it, we're going to become famous!" "This is our big break!" were thrown around a couple of dozen times while patting each other on the back. Curt collapses besides me, and wraps an arm around my shoulders, I lean in and he presses his lips against mine for a sweet kiss.

He pulls back when Martin explains more, "It will be a six-month tour, you will be travelling around the world with them, which means you have to all be on your best behaviour." He eyes directly at Ian and Manny before continuing, "I know it's short notice, as the tour is starting in two weeks. But good news, you will be having your first interview next week."

"An interview?" Roland repeats in disbelief, he looks back at the boys who all look dumbfounded, "It'll be fine boys! Just be yourselves. Now if you don't mind, I have another meeting to get too."