Chapter 50

My birthday was right around the corner as November creeped in. In one week, on the eighteenth, I would finally be turning seventeen.

I felt like I had been sixteen my whole life and although not much would change, Jax and I would be the same age. He wouldn't be turning eighteen until February.

As the days neared I counted every second until my birthday. It would be yet another year
for me that I'd be living without my mom by my side. Another birthday she would miss.

Getting into Jax's car with Hunter already in the back seat, I sighed in exhaustion.

"How was your day?" Hunter asked me as Jax drove away from the school.

"Long," I tie my hair into a pony tail. "I failed my math exam."

"What?" Jax jerked his head. "That's the easiest subject."

I gave him a face filled with disgust. "Math is the worst. How are you even good in math if you are failing it?"

"Who said I'm failing it?"

"No way you're passing math and Emma isn't." Hunter laughed.

"Let me see your grades." I reached my hand out. As we stopped at a red light, he took his phone out of his pocket and passed it over to me.

I opened the app we used for school to check our grades and gasp as I stared at the screen.

"He's only failing Spanish." I tell Hunter. "How are you failing Spanish?"

"How are you failing math?"

"Spanish is so easy!" I exclaim. "I thought you were like...failing stuff, you know."

"Uh, I don't actually," He glances at me. "Do you think I'm dumb or something?"

"No," I hesitate. "Not necessarily dumb. Just maybe...lazy?" I say, making it come out more in a questioning matter.

"He's lowkey a geek. You've been dating two seconds and you haven't learned that? Come on, Emma keep up." Hunter jumps in.

Rolling my eyes, I shoot Jax an awkward smile and he shrugs it off.

"Definitely not a geek." Jax protests.

"Yeah, I don't see it." I shake my head.

"How could you when you have his dick so far up your ass?"

"Yeah, fuck you too!" Jax shouts back and Hunter flips him off.

He steps out of the car saying his goodbyes and goes into the house. Once he's inside, Jax leans in and surprises me with a kiss.

"He's never going to accept us." I utter.

"He's your brother. I'd be surprised if he did."

Silence filled the car as Jax kissed my cheek and I sighed, leaning my head on the seat.

"So, I've been thinking." I begin.

"That's not good."

Chuckling, I slap his chest. "I'm serous. Since my birthday is coming up I have the perfect idea for a present I can give myself. Or maybe if my dad wants to, you know, be generous."

"I don't think it works like that." He jokes.

"Jax!" I sigh. "Listen."

"Okay, okay go on." He leans back in his chair and watches me.

"I think we should go away." I grin. When he raises his eyebrows in confusion I continue. "Like out of town. Let's get out of Boston and go somewhere."