Epilogue

Photo of Jax now above

Eight years later

"Gavin!" I yelled from the living room. "Gavin, come pick up your toys!"

Loud footsteps traveled through the house as Gavin made his way to the living room.

"W-What?" He stutters. His shirt was covered in food stains and he had a piece of rice hanging from his nose.

"Damn," I say in a hushed voice. "Does your uncle not know how to feed you?"

"Hunger is in my room." Gavin says in a baby voice.

"Hunter," I tell him. "It's uncle Hunter, not Hunger." I bend down and pick Gavin up, having him at my hip and walk down the hall.

Hunter was on his knees, with a cloth in hand and rubbing on the carpet.

"What are you doing?" I furrow my eyebrows.

He looks up at me, shocked and with an apologetic grin. "Well, uhm, Gavin sort of spilled the rice all over the floor and then he spilled his juice on the carpet."

"Mhm," I nod. "It was Gavin." I look at Gavin who has his finger up his nose. "You spilled your food?"

"Nooo." He mumbles out.

Hunter gets off the floor and places Gavin's half finished food on the counter. He takes Gavin from my grasp and starts swinging him around, making baby noises at him.

"I suggest you don't do that." I chuckle, watching the two of them laugh.

"Why? He's having fun." Hunter smiles, throwing him up in the air and catching him.

"He just at-" Just as the words left my mouth, Hunter was suddenly covered in chunks of solid food. He immediately puts Gavin on the floor and begins cursing, pacing around the room for anything to clean the mess off.

"Emma!" He takes off his shirt and wipes his mouth. "Fuck, what the hell?"

I laugh to myself as Gavin giggles from the ground, clapping his hands together.

"Mommy, look!" He laughs.

Just then, keys ruffled from the living room and the front door swung open. Gavin's eyes popped open and he smiled widely.

"Guess who's here?" I say in a baby voice.

Gavin runs out of the room, running through the hall and I grab the plate of food and make my way into the kitchen. Throwing out the remains of his food, I place the plate in the sink and walk back out to Gavin's room.

Hunter had managed to get most of the vomit from his face but his shirt was now stained and smelled of it.

"Where's your mom?" I hear his voice through the halls.

"My room!" I hear Gavin's voice.

Footsteps are heard throughout the house and I smile to myself when I see his familiar green blue eyes staring back at me.

"Hey, princess." He kisses me.

"How was work?" I asked as he bring me to his side, Gavin on his hip.

"Exhausting." He responds. "Teaching math to middle schoolers all day makes me want to rip my ears out." He looks at Hunter. "What's wrong with you?"

"I am never babysitting again." He jokes.

"He threw up on you again?"

"You think maybe this time it'll be a different outcome, but no." Hunter sighs.