[16] - chapter sixteen

It felt like years that she laid there crying over Jon's body, soaked in his blood and eyes puffy

It felt like years that she laid there crying over Jon's body, soaked in his blood and eyes puffy. It had been years since she had cried this much, when her father had died. Her heart felt like it was being crushed, losing someone who had slowly become important to her was her biggest fear, and it had happened again. She wished so badly that she could take everything back and had stayed away from Castle Black to begin with.

Ghost began barking from Jon's room, scratching at the door to get out, and it made her cry harder. The barking must have gathered everyone's attention because she heard doors begin to open but she paid no mind.

Davos stepped outside, hearing the direwolf whining and banging on the door. He ran down the stairs, seeing Adrena hunched over a body. Other brothers slowly walked towards the girl, some of them gasping at seeing Jon's dead body.

"It's the Lord Commander." Edd and another man came up with Davos. Adrena didn't move, too numb to register what was happening. Edd knelt down beside her, placing a hand on her back comfortingly.

"Adrena? What happened?" She shook her head slowly, her hand clutching at Jon's cold, stiff one. Edd looked up at Davos with a pained expression, the two of them not sure what to do.

"Help me get him inside." Ser Davos said after a few seconds and the two men went to pick up Jon's body but Adrena shook her head rapidly, tears falling down her cheeks. "We have to get him inside, Lady Adrena."

"Ok." Adrena nodded, pushing her hair back out of her face, smearing blood over her face. Davos winced and helped her up, wrapping an arm around her and guiding her after the two men. She watched as Edd and the other brothers placed Jon's body on a table. Edd stared at Jon sadly and reached over to brush his eyes close. Adrena's lip shook and Davos squeezed her shoulder, helping her into a seat. He grabbed a blanket and placed it over her shoulders, frowning down at her.

"Thorne did this." Edd stated, anger and pain evident in his voice. Adrena slowly raised her eyes, nodding in agreement. It was obvious that he'd do this.

"How many of your brothers do you think you can trust?" Davos asked and Edd looked around the room, pointing at everyone.

"Trust? The men in this room."

"Does the wolf know you?" Edd nodded in answer to his question. "We need all the help we can get."

Edd moved towards the door, ready to retrieve Ghost when a knock on the door startled them. Everyone in the room is prepared to defend themselves, swords unsheathed and up. All except Adrena. Normally, she would've been the first to pull out her sword but she was too upset and shaken. She was staring numbly at Jon, wishing for him to wake up so she could tell him she hated him for trying to leave. Adrena could picture him laughing at that.