A Loopy Demon

'Thoughts'

"Speaking"

"Singing"

Tom had just arrived home from work at the office. After shutting the door, taking his shoes off, and hanging up his coat he raises his arms above his head to stretch, groaning softly as his back pops. Letting his arms fall to his side he starts walking to his kitchen to start on his dinner. Getting some bread from the pantry and a jar of Peanut Butter and grape jelly he stands at his counter making a sandwich, softly humming a song his mother used to sing to him as a child. After Tom finished making his sandwich he sits down to eat. It was then that Tom hears it. Someone is crying. Tom, confused by the sound, wonders where the noise is coming from.

'Did I leave the TV on?'

He gets up from his chair and walks into the living room where the crying is coming from. As he turns the corner to enter the room he immediately freezes in place. His heart skipping a beat as it kicks into overdrive, thumping loudly in his chest. Sitting in front of him is a monster. A great horned beast with blood-red skin and large feathery wings protruding from its back. It had its back turned to Tom and is hunched over something that was in its lap. Tom, still petrified with fear, studies the creature. The horns protruding from its head are flat but thick as they arch back from the creature's head before curve upward toward the ceiling. A top of the monster's head where the horns are attached lays velvety strands of hair that seem to defy gravity, sticking up in clusters pointing away from its face, reminding Tom of frills on a reptile. At first, Tom thought the hair is as black as coal, but upon further inspection, Tom notices that in some part the hair is actually a dark red. Tom next moves his eyes downwards to the creature's wings. The large appendages are tucked in loosely to its body, almost draping over its shoulders, the tips gently brushing the floor. The wings themselves are made up of enormous ruby red feathers, each feather delicately arranged in a smooth pattern. The tip that are brushing the floor take on a brighter orange color than the rest of the wings. A spark of desire shoots through Tom to reach out and touch them, but before the compulsion can take root it is squashed down by Tom's fears. A flash of movement catching his eye draws Tom's to the ground. There hidden within the confines of the wings is a tail. The part of the tail that Tom can see is covered in hard bright red scales, the tip of the tail is thin, but the farther Tom followed it to the rest of the body the thicker it got. Tom watches as the tail continued to give lazy twitches in and out of the confines of the wings.

'Huh,' thinks Tom as he stares at the tail. 'Milo does the same thing with his tail when I give him catnip. Wait a minute, where is Milo? OH MY, GOD, DID THIS THING EAT MY CAT!' Tom starts to look around the room, hoping to see his cat hiding somewhere.

"Meow." Hearing his beloved pet, Tom whips his head toward the source of the sound. Only for his eyes to lock with eyes so black, they seem to steal the light from the room. The creature has turned so it was now facing him. Tom lets out a quiet whimper. In the monster's lap is his cat. Suddenly the thing picks Milo up and holds him at arm's length towards Tom.

"He is so soft."

Tom, not expecting that to become out of the thing's mouth, replies with a confused. "Wha?"

The creature jumps up suddenly, still holding Milo, and stomps its way towards Tom. Stumbling away as the monster stalks towards him Tom is soon backed into a corner. Flinching and expecting the worse Tom is surprised when his cat is suddenly shoved in his face.

"See! Soft!" As if to prove a point the thing starts rubbing Milo in his face.

"Eh, Pu, yes, yek, yes Milo is very soft," Tom replies while trying to keep cat hair out of his mouth. The creature stops at his words and lowers the cat away from Tom's face and tilts its head in confusion.