66

PHOENIX

"Look what Aze got us!" Maisie runs first to my mother, then father, holding up the box with chocolate, grinning widely. "It's a chocolate zoo," she explains. "It even has dogs, I already checked."

"That's very nice," my mother says. "Thank you, Aza. And thank you for the flowers, they're gorgeous. Lilies are my favourites."

"I know," Aza says, then quickly adds, "that they're gorgeous. Right. I agree."

She smiles, covering her nervousness. My mother returns the smile - unlike my father, who stands in the background, staring at my girlfriend, wearing an uncomfortable face.

"Hello," Aza says. "I'm Aza." She holds out her hand. "Aza Ainsworth."

He looks at her hand. I clear my throat, once, twice. Nothing happens.

"Dad," Maisie says. "Aza is waiting for you to shake her hand!"

He takes her hand, quickly shakes it.

"David Vos," he says.

"It's nice to meet you," Aza says.

He says nothing.

"I'm hungry," Maisie says. "Can we eat now? Can I sit next to Aza?"

"Sure," I say.

Maisie smiles, then grabs Aza's hand, taking her inside. I shoot my father a dark look, then follow them.

"You look really, really pretty," Maisie says.

"I agree," I say, half wanting to compliment Aza and half wanting to annoy my father. "You look really, really pretty."

Although the blue dress is Cass's dress, it fits Aza perfectly. It's not too short, it's not too low-cut, and it's just the right amount of chic. I realise Aza has left all of her piercings in, and I also realise she's wearing my phoenix-necklace. Her hair and makeup are both rather chic too, probably done by Cass. The only thing which isn't chic are her shoes: she's wearing her usual black DocMartens. It makes me smile.

"Thanks," Aza says. "You look great too. I love your dress, Maise."

"Me too," Maisie says. "Célia made it for me. It's my favourite dress."

"Really?" She looks at my mother. "You made that? That's pretty impressive."

"It's my job," my mother replies. "I'm a fashion designer."

"I know. But still...," Aza says. "Do you normally design clothes for children? I'm pretty sure Phoenix said your target group is young adults and adults."

"That's correct. I don't usually design clothes fo children. Every now and then, however, I do."

"When it's my birthday," Maisie says. "Or Christmas. Maybe you'll get a dress on your birthday too, Aza."

"Oh," Aza says, and I know she doesn't know what to say. "My birthday was a few weeks ago."

"Well," my mother says, "you have one every year, don't you?" She smiles at Aza.

My heart does a strange thing: it beats faster, aches, then breaks a little, then repairs itself. It looks like my mother has finally fully accepted our relationship, started believing in it, believing in it more than I do, actually. I don't know whether we will make it to Aza's birthday. I don't even know whether we will make it to mine, which is in about two months. But I do know that we will try.

AZA

I don't have parents. I think that's why some while ago I've developed this habit. Maybe it's normal for orphans, I don't know. What I do is I look at parents and I wonder: what type of parents are they? Are they good parents? Are they bad parents? Would I want them to be my parents? When I look at Phoenix's parents, I'm not sure.