Chapter 12 - I'm not pregnant

Weeks after my encounter with Barry and Doc.Zara was cool. I tried as much as I could to avoid any nagging from Mel.

"Babe, I'm not feeling too well," Mel crawled up to where I was sitting on the bed. "Ouch! What's wrong?" I asked, dropping my laptop beside me.

"I really don't know. I've been feeling weak lately. Sometimes, I feel like throwing-up. I really can't place it," she explained, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Don't you think those are signs of pregnancy?" I asked, smirking and she immediately spat, "I'm not pregnant. I can't be pregnant."

"Hey, easy cat. Don't bite me, I was just stating the obvious. Look at the bright side, you said you will be ready after 2-3years of our marriage," I told her, gently avoiding anything that will lead to any quarrel.

"Mic, I'm not pregnant," she firmly replied.

"From the way you're saying this, I'm guessing you are so sure,"

"Yes. I am hundred percent sure, babe," she wrapped her hands around my neck. "What makes you so sure? Because as far as I'm concern, we are both healthy and you have a womb, so why can you be pregnant?" I asked emphasizing the words 'womb and pregnant'.

"Because.... "She trailed off.

"Because what?" I asked, getting impatient with her.

"I just can't be. I'm not ready," sge fired back. And immediately, she covered her mouth with her palm, like she was preventing something. I reached out for a bottle of water and gave it to her.

"Are you okay?" I asked

"Yeah, I guess. I don't just unders..... " and she ran to the bathroom, and threw up.

"We are going to the hospital, and NOW." I said, grabbing my keys.

"No... I'm okay, I think it's fever or something," she shook her head, stating she didn't want to go.

"Fever, malaria or pregnancy. You are following me to Zara office. If I'm to carry you, then I will," I firmly told her. "Get changed if you have to."

"Why are you making this a big deal. I'm fine, I only need to rest," she said, throwing herself on the bed. I wore my slippers and picked her up, grabbing her one of her shoes.

"Get me down, Mic. I'm going no where," she started hitting my back.

"When you're done hon, you will save your energy for your test," I sat her down on the passenger seat and buckled her seatbelt before planning a kiss on her lips.

*

*

*

Zara came into the office with documents in her hands, settling down on her chair.

The look she wore on her face was scaring me, I had to ask, "how is it? Hope its good news?"

She shook her head a little before dropping the documents on her table and threw a question at Mel, "what have you been taking?"

Mel looked at me like the question was meant for me before gazing back at Zara. "I don't understand. What do you mean?"

"I guess it's better you tell your husband what you've been consuming and for how long before I show you both the results," Zara said, resting her back.

I didn't mention, zara has a son now. Her baby should be over five months old now.

Mel looked at me, tears already forming in her eyes, "baby I'm sorry," she cried.

"Hey, don't cry darling. Just tell me, what is Zara talking about?"

"I...I...t..u... I'm sorry," she couldn't form a proper word. She kept on saying sorry for about ten minutes, crying into my T-shirt.

After I've calmed her down, while stroking her hair, she began. "I have been on contraceptive pills since we got married and I'm sorry babe. I'm truly sorry. I just wasn't ready and I thought...".

"Shut-up," I yelled, lifting her head off me. "Micheal, you need to calm down," Zara intervened.

I gave Mel an evil stare before turning to Zara, "I'm cool," I faked a smile.

"Okay. That's better because what I'm about to say is worse than what she just told you," Zara said clearing her throat.

I tried my possible best to act cool and ready for what Zara was about to say. "I'm not happy to break this to you both but I'm sorry to say, Imelda," she said looking at her. "I'm sorry but your womb is partially injured, meaning you can't conceive. And if you.... "

"Wait a second, what did you just say?" I cut her off.

"Your wife, Imelda, can not conceive and even though she does, it would lead to series of miscarriage," she explained.

"You're joking, right?" I couldn't believe my ears.

"That's what is written here," she said handling me the paper work. "I'm sorry, Micheal. If you both had come sooner, maybe it wouldn't be this bad," she said.

I looked Mel and she just sat there, crying at what she had done. "I hope you are fulfilled. Thanks to you, we will never be parents," I said. "No, let me rephrase that, you will never be a mother. You are the one with an injured womb not me," I said, intentionally hurting her the more.

For fuck sake, she deserves it. Because of her, I might never be a father again. And I can't cheat on her, I fucking love her more than any one can imagine.

"Micheal, you have to be easy on her. I guess she didn't have any idea of the effect on the pills. She needs you more now, than ever," Zara told me.

I don't know but I felt guilty. I pulled my seat towards hers and wrapped my arms around her. "Hey, stop crying. I'm sorry. You made a mistake, yeah I know, but I also made a mistake by being insensitive,"

"I'm sorry babe. I never knew it would come to this. I'm so ashamed of my stupidity and selfishness. Please, forgive me," she sobbed into my shirt, messing it with her light make-up.

"Is there any remedy to this, doc?" I asked, while Mel kept crying like a baby whose candy was stolen.

"Yes, there is. But it not a 100% guarantee." she said.

"We will do anything to get out of this situation, so go on. I'm all ears," I said and listened careful as she told us the steps to take. She also prescribed some drugs and directed us to the pharmacy.

After everything, I took Mel to the car. I dropped the nylon of drugs at the back seat and helped Mel into the car. "Excuse babe, I left my phone on Zara's table. Won't be long," I placed a kiss on her hair and dashed back into the building.

*

*

*

Hi guys ☺☺
Happy palm 🌴sunday guys❤❤❤☺☺😘

Jhemma
Cares