13

On that new year party in school, Claire knows Lucas said something.

The countdown had started, and she was standing in front of him. And looking at him, Claire was hurting, and there's no other words she can use to express what she felt.

She saw the fireworks in his eyes, and while everyone looked at the sky, he looked at her. He had opened his mouth, and said something. Claire knew what he said, even though she didn't hear over the loud bursts of fireworks. 

She was frozen, either from the cold or, she still doesn't know.

She pretended she didn't understand, and turned away.

And today after so many years, she sat in a party, thrown by Lucas, only to announce his wedding. No wonder the press went crazy over this.

"Claire, why Nate?" Adam cringed, looking around the room. It was indeed peaceful, how people drank their wine, styled in designer clothes and probably, probably everything was just business to them. "Is he here or something?"

"No shit he is." She grumbled, sitting on the couch in the end of the room with Adam next to her. She had a clear view of Lucas from here, the way he threw his gaze over middle aged rich men and kissed women's hands.

"I can't spot him." Adam said, shrugging in the end. He looked at Claire sipping her coffee slowly and raised his eyebrows. "Are you seriously gonna sulk here and drink Coffee? out of all the drinks here, you're gonna sip.. coffee?" 

Claire glanced at her cup. "What's wrong with that? I need to stay sober." Yeah, definitely, looking at the room and the decor, and how she could write it down in a book. 

"Look, I know you're turning old, but that doesn't mean you need to waste away your life like this." The black haired retorted and rolled his eyes. "Go around, find someone you can hold a conversation with, or someone who can.. you know be beneficial to you."

She looked at him through the corner of her eyes. "Why?"

"What do you think all of these people here are doing? They didn't come here to listen to Lucas' announcement, they came here to expand their territory."

"What does this have to do with me?"

"Don't just sit here. This ain't you. Remember when you used to do shit for thrill in high school? I liked you better then."  Adam sighed. He really couldn't watch her sit like this and drown in coffee. And consuming so much caffeine? Was that even healthy?

For Claire, something snapped in her. Adam made so much sense.

"You mean.." She started, "You mean I should, bring back my youth. That's all, isn't it?"

He smiled, nodding. For some reason, he couldn't stop looking at her. He saw her expressions change. 

"It's.. never too late to enjoy how you used to."

She smiled. "Right. Let's go."

_____

"No wait, where are we going?" Adam's pupils were shaking, while following Claire around.

"To Lucas' room." She answered in return and just kept climbing up the stairs.

"oh- Wait why?" Adam took a hold of her hand and pulled her back to face him. "Why the fuck?"

She groaned, trying to get out of Adam's hold. He sometimes was annoying. Like Claire hadn't already mentioned that. Maybe she should do this on her own.

"Just follow, will you? Or go back, I'll get this done." 

"Claire, when I said you must enjoy yourself, this is absolutely NOT what I meant."

Of course Claire knew what Adam meant. But thanks to him, she wanted to do something she was dreading not to. So she placed her hand on his shoulder and nodded while shooting a soft smile.

"Go back." she said. And as soon as she let her hand drop, her smile dropped too and she rolled her eyes.

"No." Adam crunched his eyebrows. "I.. I'm coming with you." 

"Go back." She mumbled while she continued walking.

"No." and he followed.

No wonder they walked into every room bickering and looking around to find Lucas' room. God, did the mansion have many doors for just a small family. And considering Mr and Mrs Clark weren't home, it must be lonely as fuck.

"Can you, Like, tell me why the fuck are we looking for his room?"

Claire paused in her tracks, and grit her teeth. "To find something that we can.. use. Against him."

"What?" 

Claire's heart was racing. Saying it out loud was much more terrifying. "He.. He must have something that we can hold against him."

Adam reached forward and whipped her around, eyebrows furrowing dangerously. "What are you saying?"

He hands were getting sweaty. "I-If Hailey doesn't want this wedding to happen, then, then there's only one way how we can stop Lucas."

"And how is that?"

"Find out something he's hiding, and hold it against him so that he agrees to drop the marriage. And as for men like him, their pride and their industry means much more than they can even think about."

She gulped while looking at Adam's black coal coloured eyes. 

"You want to help?" He asked. Her voice was lost, and she wanted to say yes, but nothing came out. She just stared, as if she didn't want to say it out loud. "Admit it." He looked for answers in her eyes.

"What if I do?" She said.

"Then remember, there's no going back." He told her, while holding her close. "And you'll accept whatever comes through this. You will have to take responsibility of what you do."

She knows. And she feels like a rat in a trap. 

She cant help it though.

"I will." She answered. 

A smirk etched on his lips. 

Yall, my chapter limit is 900 or 1000 words or like 1500 words alright. I usually end chapters when I feel is the right moment. So forgive this shit writer that i claim i am for smol chapters :(