15

It wasn't her phone, so thank fuck. She never takes it off vibrations, and so she flinched everytime the phone buzzed.

Adam hid on the other side of the door and Claire slid back under the bed, as Lucas slowly stirred. He didn't really respond to his phone, he just pushed it accidentally off the bed and it fell right next to Claire's head.

Adam watched, as Lucas' eyes opened just enough to look, and he groaned softly, rolling to the edge of the bed and trying to fetch the phone.

Except, the phone stopped ringing, and Lucas' hand stilled, dangling off the edge of the bed. In his drunken state, he made no efforts whatsoever and just fell back to sleep in the same position.

Claire looked to her other side, but there wasn't a way out, and all she could see was the wall. The only time she could get out was if Lucas pulled his hand up.

Claire: is he asleep again

Adam: donno wait till he snores or something

Claire: dammit

The bed shifted again, and she could see his hand moving around, looking for the phone.

Claire slowly lifted it towards his hand, and he grabbed it, pulling it up.

If Lucas was drunk, if that were the case, then he'd not suspect.

Then suddenly, Lucas was getting off the bed and Adam hurriedly walked away from the door. The said drunken man stumbled around until Claire could hear a door opening and a clicking sound indicating that Lucas was in the bathroom.

Claire's head popped out again and she checked for any other signs of disasters, before deciding the path was clear and she sprinted out, immediately heading for the hallway.

"Adam?" She whisper yelled in the drop dead silence and felt a hand grab her from behind.

"Claire."

She whipped her head around, Adam instantly pulling her into a hug. "I thought I'd never see you."

"Dude, what the fuck? I'm not dead."

"You could've been."

Claire rolled her eyes, pushing Adam away. "We need to get out of here."

Adam nodded, grabbing her hand in his and leading the way out. "Hailey to the rescue."

Hailey? She knew about this?

"You told her about me agreeing to help them?" Claire scowled.

"Yes." Adam frowned back at her with just as much intensity. "We need help right now."

"What the fuck kind of help?"

"You'll be caught by the guards outside if you try sneaking out all alone. You'll be caught." Adam said as if it was the most obvious thing ever. Maybe it was, but Claire didn't think that through. "Hailey, being familiar to the guards and being Lucas' fiancée can help."

"How?"

"Dude. Just follow will ya?"

And they walked down the stairs, both of them panting and sweating. They didn't let go of their hands, just held on, as she was dragged around.

Soon they met Hailey at the bottom of the stairs, waiting for them.

"Hey what were you doing?" She asked.

"I told you." Adam shrugged. "We found... nothing."

And there was an edge to Adam's sentence that Claire could tell something was up. "y..yeah, we found nothing."

If Adam wasn't gonna tell, then she wouldn't too.

Maybe.. just maybe that wasn't important.

"We need to talk." Hailey said, "you can stay here tonight."

"Oh hell no." Claire shook her head. "Gross. We can talk some other time. I wanna go back to our hotel room."

Hailey sighed, and lead them to the main door. "Why are y'all staying at the hotel rooms anyway? You can actually stay at my place."

"Yeah-"

"No, thank you." Claire cut Adam off, her tone sweet, to which Hailey just took a deep breath in frustration.

"Tomorrow then?" She asked the two of them, who looked like they had been through.. some real crap that night, and cleared her throat. "My place?"

Claire shrugged, looking at Adam to take the decision for them, to which he complied and nodded. "Sure. Sounds great."

There really was something about the way the mansion gave out real creeps to Claire everytime she walked in the big living room. It was about the size of their house that they were struggling to pay the bills of.

"Is Connor gonna be there?" She asked, when they walked out and towards the gate.

"Yeah, he's staying over."

"Amazing." Claire scoffed, and she began walking faster as soon as she spotted their car, Adam trailing behind closely.

"Hey Claire!" They turned around to Hailey waving. "Thank you for agreeing!" She smiled brightly, and Claire couldn't help but, blink at the way Hailey looked.

She looked hopeful.

If Claire fails, she'll fuck up lives. And that dawned upon her right at that time as she waved back.

And until today, all she had done was break the promises she made. No matter how hard she tried, in the end, she always seemed to break them.

She was scared. She was terrified that this time, if she couldn't keep her word, she would have the world hating upon her.

And she remembered those sharp blue eyes, those that held warmth in them at one point long ago, that pierce her coldly now. Those would be the eyes around her.

She'd feel small.

Very small and helpless.

She wouldn't be able to handle that.

"Claire? Are you okay?" Adam asked, his gaze flickering between the road and her as he drove.

Claire was so lost in her thoughts that she never even realised that they were already on the read.

"I'm fine." She muttered, looking out the window. "Maybe."

.
.
.
.
.

HhaHAH did you think it was her phone in the last chapter?