Chapter 12

It was currently Saturday evening and I was spending it cooped up in a stuffy fitting room trying on countless slutty dresses Liza made me wear.

"Do you like that dress better?" Liza asked from the other side of the curtain as I tried on the low-cut dress that had a high slit at the front.  

I opened the curtain to show her with a frown on my face.

Liza was busy admiring herself in the mirror but turned with a squeal when she saw me.

"Oh my god, you look amazing! You need to wear that!"

I pursed my lips and crossed my arms in front of my chest.

"Liza are you serious? I look like a fucking stripper!"

She eagerly shook her head. "No way! You look sexy. That's the whole point."

I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Aren't we attending a gala? Those types of events are usually formal aren't they? This outfit seems really inappropriate."

Liza rolled her eyes and went back to looking at herself in the mirror. "You need to loosen up Julia. Half the women that show up to those events practically come half naked."

"That doesn't mean she needs to come half naked."

The unknown voice came from behind us. Liza and I both jumped, holding our chests from surprise to find Jared leaning on the dressing room wall, glaring at us with down turned lips. 

"This fitting room is designed for ladies Jared. You can't come in here." Liza gave him a scowl and attempted to push him out. 

Jared gently pushed her away and walked towards me, an unreadable look glinting in his eyes.

Realizing my cleavage was on display, I immediately turned away from him and used the fitting room curtain to shield my chest. 

"Jared stop! I'm not in decent clothing right now!" I muttered as he walked closer.

He gave me a mocking smile. "What's wrong Jules? Does my presence make you nervous?"

I knit my eyebrows together and pulled the curtain closer to my chest. "Get out! At least let me change first."

He stopped short a few feet away from me. He then looked behind him to face Liza. She was trying to zip up the tight and revealing maxi dress she had on. 

"You two have been in here for the past thirty minutes. You tell me you'll be quick and make me wait in the car. Now I see that all you've been doing is playing around."

Liza huffed because she couldn't zip up the dress and threw her hands in the air like a crazy person.

"Shut up Jared. We're girls, we go shopping and take forever! It's just how we are!" she exclaimed glaring at him.

"Take that dress off Liza! There's no way in hell I would let you wear that!" Jared roared.

"Ugh, you're no fair. You're not my mom! I can wear whatever I want!" Liza whined, placing her hand on her hip.

Jared silently cursed to himself and rubbed his temple in irritation. "We're leaving Liza. Go take off that dress and return all the dresses you tried on. You are not buying any of them."

"But-"

"NOW!"

I've never seem Jared so angry. He's usually chill and sarcastic but this side of him was new to me. Liza was too young to understand but it was clear to me that he was being a protective older brother and shielding her from danger.