Prologue - Grandma

Alexis's POV:

“Grandma, Grandma, tell us a story!” I looked to my right and saw my three grandchildren running toward me. I bent down and hugged them all. They were staying the week with me while their parents got a break. The oldest is Glynda and is the only daughter of my late Jewel. I looked into her bright eyes and see Jewel all over again. Glynda is only nine but sometimes I wonder if she is older than her years. She escaped her mother's cruel fate by not receiving the deformity that her mother had. I sometimes wish she had it because it would make her different. But then again that it was always my wish to have Jewel back. The others are Blake and Juliet. Blake is six and Juliet is only three. They are perfect in every way. They are the children of my son.

I grabbed Blake and Juliet's hands and dragged them along to the couch. Glynda walked behind me. Blake sat to my left and Glynda to my right. Juliet crawled into my lap and snuggled close. I settled back and said,

“What story do you want?” I knew what they would want to hear. It the story that I always loved to tell.

“Tell me about Grandpa. Tell us about the Horse King.” I settled back and looked down at my grandchildren. Most particularly I looked at Glynda. As Jewel's daughter she was only half-siblings to Blake and Juliet. Jewel was the product of date rape. I sighed as I remembered back to when I had been sixteen and pregnant. It hadn't been easy but I wasn't going to give up the baby. I left high school to raise her and it had been Jewel who had introduced me to the Horse King. Without her I never would've have met the best thing that ever happened to me. I looked into Glynda's blue eyes and smiled. Those eyes would always bring back memories of the day, thirty years ago, that changed my life forever. The day I entered the Horse King's domain.