Chapter 35

FOUR MONTHS LATER

Spencer's POV

Jaella and I have been going great. More than great if I'm being honest. I've been becoming more comfortable around her. I stutter less and find that my overall mood has improved. I look forward to coming home from cases, as I know that she's there. We try to see each other as much as possible. Sometimes she travels to me and sometimes I travel to her. We go on coffee dates mostly and then on to the library or one of our apartments. I feel quite bad for her as I know she misses being out in the field, it's who she is. My least favourite part is leaving her. Sometimes I get calls in the middle of the night to come in for a case when we're watching a movie or doing.. other activities.

Morgan snaps me out of my daydream. "Hey Kid, after we land, we were thinking of hitting that new club that just set up. Wanna join?" He offers.

I shake my head with a small smile. "No thanks," I reply. "I was planning to go visit Jaella later on."

"Bring her," Emily pipes up. "We haven't seen her in so long."

"Yeah, and you always keep her to yourself," pouts JJ.

I chuckle at their antics. "Okay I'll ask her." I take my phone out of my back pocket and go to my recent calls. She picks up after only a few rings.

"Hello Doctor," she greets. "How are you on this splendid afternoon? How was the case?"

"The case went well, nothing I couldn't handle," I playfully boast. I can practically hear her rolling her eyes at the other end of the phone. "I was wondering if you'd like to come out with myself and the team for a night out."

She chuckles. "Spencer, as much as I would love to see you bust a move, I sadly have to decline. I've already planned a night with Alex. Maybe another time?"

"Yeah course," I reply, a bit downhearted.

"Hey have fun tonight though. I know that I'm extremely entertaining and all that jazz, but please enjoy yourself. Tell the team I say hi and that I'm sorry that I can't come. Want me to go over to your place tomorrow? We could check out and see if the bookstore on your street has any new reads," she suggests.

"Sounds perfect. Alright bye. I lo-." I cut myself off after realising what I was about to admit.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, I look forward to it. See ya."

"Buh-bye."

The call ends and I look up to see the majority of the plane staring at me.

"What?" I ask.

"You almost dropped the L-word kiddo," remarks Rossi with a smile. "Trust me, I've done that too early into a relationship one too many times. Never a wise decision, ended up marrying them." The plane fills with laughter.

"I don't know," I say in a shy voice, cheeks turning red. "It's not like I didn't want to. It's just, I'm afraid that she wouldn't say it back."

In all honesty, I've thought about it a lot. I always catch myself right before saying it. I don't know why, but it just seems natural, an instinct almost.

"Don't worry Spence," consoles JJ. "You'll know when you're both ready."

"Let's um, change the subject," I suggest. The others laugh at my awkwardness and then start talking about JJ's job.

"Gosh you must see so much that you don't want to. We only have to deal with the case in front of us, whereas you have to look through them all," remarks Emily.

"The only difficult bit is deciding which cases to pass on to other sectors and which ones to choose. I always feel bad putting away some as I know that in reality, could use our help, but we have to prioritise."

"Any cases that come to mind?" Asks Hotch.

"Well," begins JJ, "there's a couple. For example, back in Virginia, there's this one serial killer going on dates with women, going back to her place afterwards, and then murdering them there. The media is calling him Prince Harming as he's said to be extremely charming but then leaves the women all bruised and bloodied after raping them. Another one is in Ohio, five couples have been found in alleyways, both with bullet wounds to the chest."

"I do not envy your job," remarks Morgan. JJ playfully hits him on the shoulder.

"Everyone get ready. We land in five," announces Hotch.

Jaella's POV

I place the phone down on the dresser, feeling terrible.

"I hate lying to him," I complain.

"Sweetie, you're the one who doesn't want him to find out," remarks Alex whilst putting the finishing touches on my hair.

"It doesn't stop me from feeling awful. I just missed this." I gesture to myself. "I just want to be useful. I'm lucky that boss even gave me this case."

"Well, you are back a month and a half before you're supposed to."

"I just know that Spencer would try to stop me. I'll tell him after the case, just not yet. The doctors said that I'm basically back to normal. My bruises are practically all gone and I only have small lines where my cuts were. They're barely noticeable," I comment.

"Jaella, that time off is more about healing mentally than physically."

"I know I know. But I am ready for this." I sigh and stand from my seat. I take a quick glance in the mirror.

The red bodycon dress has thin straps and hugs my figure perfectly. It comes to about three quarters the way up my thigh, showing off my legs. My hair is let down but curled lightly, thanks to Alex. The make-up is more natural looking, using my own skin tones and a natural eyeshadow. I do look pretty good.

"Come on Ally. Let's catch this sick bastard. Prince Harming here we come."

Oop. Just a filler chapter but shiz is about to go down so get ready. Love youuu.