6| Lady Sahastra

|CHAPTER - 6|

***

"You must have reckoned the purpose behind my visit by now, prince Raghuveer?" A small smile grazed minister Kashyap's face. Like often, his calm voice marked peacefulness but Raghuveer knew his real voice. Just like queen Anasuya, minister Kashyap similarly loved power, he can reach to any extent to wear that tag of power around his neck.

A light violet-coloured Angavastra was wrapped around his chest and back with its end laying perfectly on his left arm as he sat down facing him and Lady Sahasthra quietly sat behind her father with her eyes stuck to the ground, like the docile daughter she is. While minister Kashyap's single look spoke a thousand words, his daughter couldn't utter a single word and he never once bothered to take his daughter to a physician.

"How can I not? As you are visiting with your daughter alongside." Anyone else in Raghuveer's place will grab this opportunity however for him everything was different. Who said he doesn't want any political power? He would love to rule this kingdom but a tie-up with a man who can shamelessly bait his daughter to build relationships somehow didn't appeal to him.

A tiny smile filled with arrogance laced minister Kashyap's face as he observed the interior of the house.

"I won't beat around the bush, Prince. As you must have already heard about the demise of military head Bhupal son's demise?"

"I did, he had a cardiac arrest if I am not wrong?" Even Raghuveer knew that Bhupal son's death is far from a normal health issue, how can a hale and cheerful thirty-year-old die from cardiac arrest?

Kashyap gave out a humourless chuckle as he spoke, "Come on prince, every royal perfectly knows that he was assassinated by the queen's men."

"And how come you are sure about it, minister?" Somehow every political assassination was always linked to the Queen and most of the time they were right but this time it did not make any sense to Raghuveer. Sahastra being married to an outsider will indirectly reduce Kashyap's power so to kill his daughters' fiance would be a wrong strategical move and as far as he Raghuveer knows the queen always plays the right step with clever moves.

"I am not even that powerless, prince. But I can assure you that we will be getting solid proofs about this matter and for that, I will need an internal power like you beside me."

A burst of loud mirthless laughter boomed throughout the hall room and for the first time, Sahasthra lifted her eyes to look at Raghuveer.

"I must appreciate your humourless jokes, minister." Raghuveer managed to speak in between in laughs and his
mocking voice didn't go unnoticed by Kashyap but this time he has to control his anger and trap this prince, so he smiled as he spoke, "I do not joke, Prince. However, I can assure you that if you are married to my daughter your power at the palace will increase which raises your chances of having the throne after the king's demise."

"Of course. But minister, tell me, your status and power will increase thrice if you get your daughter married to Prince Dipankar, then why me?"

Lady Sahastra's head raised up with a sudden surprise hearing the mention of Dipankar's name and the yearning in her eyes did not go unnoticed by Raghuveer.

Before answering Kashyap turned behind and ordered his daughter to step outside the house and like a dutiful daughter she is, Lady Sahastra quietly walked out.

While Raghuveer was busily involved in talks with Kashyap, there inside the chambers sat Riya with a grim look on her face. Those waves of jealousy were now turning into curiosity, how pretty can that woman be? More beautiful than her? Her memories were lost but the strong belief that she is known beauty was alive in her.