thirteen

What happened three months ago has always been a big question for Malaika, she'd always wonder how was her life before the accident happened, what was her favourite food to eat or her favourite movie to watch, what colour did she like to wear or what did she do to pass her time, questions like these keep popping up every now and then.

But now, she has come to terms with the fact that those are in the past anyway, she might remember them one day, Insha Allah. She was also optimistic about how lucky she is to get a second chance in experiencing life, a chance which no one would get. But she did.  She got a chance to leave the nineteen years of life behind and start afresh, maybe it was meant to be this way. 

The smile on her face widens as she combed her wavy raven black hair whilst admiring herself. Today was somehow different as she didn't get to sleep after the fajr, and so she decided to take a bath and get dressed up. Her new favourite colour to wear is red, the observation which she did base upon her last shopping trip, where almost everything she bought or liked was in red colour. And also, red suited her skin colour brilliantly. 

Dressing up and going nowhere has become her new favourite thing to do. When the combing was done, she took a final glance at herself and felt something was missing. Giggling to herself, she opened the dressing table's drawer and pulled out the bangles box, and then wore the silver colour bangles in both her hands. And now, she looked perfect. Arsalaan would like it. And that thought made her cheeks turn crimson. Shaking her head in disbelief, she walked out of the room only to get bumped on a hard body. 

"Woah there!" Arsalaan caught her waist, balancing her and stopping both of them from not falling down. Her pale white skin became so red at the sight in front of her. She couldn't help but check out her hot and shirtless husband, who managed to take her breath away even when he was sweating from all the morning workouts he just did. And feeling him hold her securely made her feel all giddy and shy.

"Done?" Arsalaan asked her whilst eyeing her teasingly, she refused to meet his eyes. Her hands wanted to wander on his broad chest. How will it feel? She'd wondered once or twice, but today the feeling was so strong that she might actually do it. 

"Leave me." Malaika blushed furiously making him smirk, "but your eyes tell me something else." he pulled her closer, making her hit on his chest, and her breath hitched with their new proximity. She tried to control herself, breathing in and out heavily. The sudden closeness made her feel goosebumps, his case was no less. Arsalaan was as affected as her.

"S-someone will see us." she stuttered shyly making him chuckle, "what if we are alone here? Hmm," Arslaan lifted her chin up with a mischievous glint and made her face him, and damn she was a goner already. His eyes have always been her favourite feature and if given a chance, she'd just stare at it all day. 

Arsalaan gulped nervously as he saw the way she was staring at him, getting lost in his eyes. She had no idea what that look of hers was doing to him. Suddenly realization dawn's upon him. The closeness... It is up to no good and he needs to stay away from her. For both of their well being.

Instantly, he pulled back and tried different things to distract his mind, leaving her all flustered and shy. She refused to meet his eyes whilst blushing like a tomato. 

"Wait for a second, Why do you smell like my body wash?" So much for getting distracted. 

"Uh-I." Malaika had no idea that he'll notice all these intimate details which made her blush harder if that was possible. 

"I-I'm running out of body wash..." she stuttered whilst gazing at his shoes and bites on her lips being slightly embarrassed. 

"It smells better on you." he blurted out with a grin but regretted it immediately. What the hell is wrong with him today? He had to stay away from her, for both of their good. Which kind of made him sad. But it is what it is. She hates him in reality and he needed to remember it always. 

"Th-thanks!" she muttered shyly and runs away from there. That was a lot of teasing for a single day. And him being shirtless and so damn close to her was too much for her to take. Gosh!

Arsalaan too walked into his room, making a mental note to himself; Do not get close with her, no matter what.

All of this was witnessed by a pair of eyes, unintentionally and her eyes watered with happiness. Inaya has come to stay over at her brother's place for a week and she was to leave today. Before going, she wanted to say bye to her brother but was stopped by this lovely scene. At least someone was happy because of her stubborn demands. For so many days, she was drowning in regret as she watched Zayn being all husband-ly towards Sara and ignoring her as though she never existed. The Abbasi family were kind enough to her, mainly because her brother was treating their sister well even after being a complete jerk in the beginning. 

It made her feel so guilty. Because of her one stubborn demand, so many other lives were affected. Which made her realize how selfish she has been the whole time, not once thinking once about her brother who was ready to sacrifice even his whole life for her. But it was too late to realize things and the damage was done already. And the sight in front of her today, made Inaya feel elated.  At least Arsalaan was happy? But she had no idea of how much he's hurting every single day from inside. 

***

"Malaika beta." She turned her head towards that fake enthusiastic voice and gulped nervously. Rahila and her family have come over to stay in the Baig mansion for the weekend and she got a lot of creepy vibes from them, mainly because they were so jealous and envious of her, who according to them has snatched their daughter's place. 

"Yes, auntie?" Malaika smiled politely at Rahila's mother Rheana, who had a smug look on her face. 

"Tell Arsalaan not to cook today, my daughter has made breakfast for everyone today. Especially for him."  the lady wasn't even subtle about what she was hinting at, which made Malaika's blood boil with rage. But the lady happens to be her elder, punching her nose technically was not possible so faking a smile, she shook her head and before the lady could spoil her mood any further, she left from there. 

"Arsalaan!" whining his name unhappily, she entered their room and was shocked to find Rahila sitting on her bed. 

"What are you doing here?" Malaika asked with annoyance. 

"I'm waiting for Arsalaan, he's in the shower I guess." The smirk on Rahila's face made her want to punch this girl. 

"So? Who gave you the permission to enter my room?" Malaika snapped in anger. 

"Mind your tone, Malaika. Don't forget, before your husband, he is my cousin first. I have all rights to enter here whenever I want." She had the audacity to be smug about it. 

"I don't care. I'm his wife now, and he is my husband. You better remember this for your own good." Malaika rolled her eyes in annoyance. 

"You!" the words dried down her throat as Malaika snatched her hands and dragged her out of there," are you crazy? Leave my hands." Rahila tried to pull back from her grip, but Malaika was stronger than her. And she left her hands only when they were out of the room and slammed the door shut on her face leaving a gasping Rahila outside. 

"Remind me to be careful around you." came the amused voice of Arsalaan which made her jump in surprise, her cheeks turned red once again. Couldn't he make his appearance a little later? She thought with a huff, her cheeks were still as red as a tomato. 

"You saw?" turning towards him, she asked with a shy and embarrassed smile. He chuckled at her reactions. 

"Totally!" Oh, how she wished the earth to swallow her at this moment. 

"I-I'm sorry for disrespecting your cousin like that." Arsalaan frowned at that, "come here." She raised her head in confusion, but walked towards him anyway, "look Malaika, you're my wife now. You have equal rights in this room as much as I. And you can kick out whoever you want except my sister. I don't care about the others anyway." 

Malaika gave him an amused stare, whilst getting lost in her thoughts. 

"Do you care about me though?" she asked so out of the blue, turning him speechless for a second. 

Did he really about her?