Chapter 4 - The Academy

Dahlia

"You've got everyone for science and history, me for life." Bryony said in a cheery voice. Bryony reminded Dahlia a lot of a little child. she was skinny, with eyes too big for her face.

"Mishal for combat. Auretta for species. You're on your own for survival though, we have Mr Barkos for history, ugh, I hate him and don't even get me started on..." 

"Hmmmm." Dahlia was only half listening as Bryony rambled on, she still hadn't recovered from her visit to the principal's office. It had seemed so weird.

"What was it even for?" She thought aloud.

"Exactly. Who needs to know the anatomy of a plant? I mean seriously."

"No I meant the-"

"Oh we're here. This is survival. Good luck. You're on your own." And she walked off.

It was a shed. A shed. It looked like a metal tool-shed she used to have in the backyard. Around it was a little circle of grass before it was devoured by bushes and trees. Dahlia walked inside. There wasn't anything inside.

Her footsteps were even, silent thudding along the concrete. The wind was a soft breeze outside, but it felt like it was a thunderstorm inside. Every little sound was amplified.

It was quiet. Too quiet.

Then the door shut behind her. Oh no.

Dahlia ran to the door, and pushed against it. It was locked. She tried to jiggle the handle, but it wouldn't work. She wished she could pick any lock. That's it.

She had to pick a lock, but she didn't know how... she started panicking. Her heart started to race, and her breaths came out in short gasps. Great work, Dahlia. The loonies have trapped you in a shed.

Then she remembered, it was just yesterday morning, Gabrielle had given her a bobby pin, which she had attached to her necklace. Quickly, she lifted it from under her dress and took out the bobby pin.

Stick it in the top of the lock. Push it in. Bend it. And, what? She had no idea what she was doing. She was about to start banging on the door, demanding to be let out when she heard the faint noise. Click.

She sighed in relief. She pulled open the door. Then she scanned the bushes and the trees, and she noticed it.

A spot of blond behind the bush.

A flash of red in the trees.

Dahlia groaned. "Very funny."

Then someone stepped out. Someone she hadn't noticed before. He seemed to be the teacher. He was wearing red pants and a red shirt. "Yes, amusing but also impressive. I am your teacher, Phoenix."

Dahlia knew that she couldn't get in trouble on the first day at a new school but she was really mad. "So, Mr. Phoenix, do you trap anyone unfortunate enough to come across your class in a shed? Or is it just me?"

There were a few noises, and Dahlia tried to find the source. But all she saw were flashes. Hair. Clothing. Colour. She couldn't make out one person.

Mr. Phoenix smiled. "This is a test that measures your aptitude in my class, you've just landed yourself a permanent spot in my highest class."

"No, no, no, no."

Before she could tell him she didn't want a permanent spot anywhere in this Godforsaken world, he continued talking.

"Most students think of my honours class as an honour not a punishment."

Dahlia made a face but didn't argue more. Besides she would be back home before she knew it.