Chapter 5 - The Spirit Wolf

Dahlia

Mishal marched Dahlia all the way to combat class. She walked with a sort of pride, Dahlia noted, and she had a care-free manner about her.

She's fun, Dahlia decided, but dangerous, like fire. And crazy. There all crazy here.

The combat class was a large grass field, like the oval back at the boarding school. At the very end there was a wooden wall, and weapons covered the wall.

As Mishal and Dahlia neared the group Dahlia recognised Kaja and Dameka, from Survival. And also that cold blond girl. There was the person with curly red hair, she had seen talking to Mishal. Then there was the teacher, Dahlia guessed. He had a shaved head and he wore a red shirt and red pants. He had black marks all along his left forearm. They looked like tattoos, but she didn't think they were.

He turned to look at her. He looked her up and down, then snarled. "Are you lost?"

Mishal was about to speak but Dahlia stepped in.

"I think so, I'm meant to be at combat, but judging by the smell I think I landed myself in the stables."

Mishal was hysterical beside her. Even the teacher chuckled. But she earned glares from the students.

'Way to go Dahlia, making enemies on the first day,' she thought. Judging by the looks she was getting someone might kill her in her sleep.

"Well let's see what you can do." The teacher narrowed his eyes at her.

Dahlia immediately regretted her big mouth. Mishal was giving her one of those thoughtful looks and Dahlia could see the wheels turning inside her head. But nothing could save her from this. She didn't know the first thing about Mishal.

He tossed both Dahlia and Mishal a sword which landed at their feet. Mishal picked it up and held it. Dahlia followed. Mishal tilted her head slowly to the left and then she swung the sword towards her. Dahlia had dodged purely out of instinct, but Dahlia understood what Mishal was trying to do. A planned swordfight. A performance. And Dahlia would play along.

She swung the sword and Mishal ducked. Again and again they dodged and dodged. Until Dahlia slipped and fell backwards.

Mishal bit her lip as the teacher laughed. "Let's hope you're not one of those all talk types, in case you haven't noticed we don't do much talking here.

What Dahlia didn't know was that Combat was only the start of her day. School had always given her a hard time, let alone one in a different world. 

Dahlia was in history, and it seemed that the lecture Mishal and Auretta had given her was only the tip of the iceberg. Mr Barkos was a middle-aged man that spoke in a voice which made it only fair that half the students in the back row had drifted asleep. 

Dahlia herself, found it hard to concentrate as he furiously scribbled on the blackboard. Dahlia was in history with Auretta, and despite the usual tour of the school Auretta had mostly ignored her. She sat at the front and Dahlia studied her. She stood with her shoulders back and head tilted up in a superior way. Her hand shot up so much that Mr Barkos had started to ignore it. 

Auretta's hand went up again and Dahlia fought an urge to roll her eyes. Mr Barkos moved past her and he pointed to Dahlia. 

"Dahlia." He said. A pit of dread settled in the bottom of her stomach and Dahlia felt sick. 

"Sorry?" Dahlia asked.

"I asked you to tell me what the major events in the new age were." He nodded encouragingly towards the blackboard. All of the students turned to look at Dahlia now.