Chapter 34 - The Spirit War

Dahlia

Dahlia travelled with Roxy and Guthrie at first light. Peter and June walked in front of them. They all walked through the tunnels, after using the trailer to come back to the cave.

The air here was still humid, but the heat was much more bearable.

They walked for a few minutes in silence, before Dahlia was almost sure there was someone else here in the tunnels. Dahlia looked to Roxy and knew Roxy could sense it too.

Dahlia stopped walking. She was sure someone was watching her. But she'd scanned the tunnels, behind her and infront of her, and there was no-one there.

Dahlia looked down to see she was standing directly above a circle of light. She looked up to see where it came from, but the air was knocked out of her as someone dropped down on top of her and they were both rolled on the ground.

Dahlia felt a moment of utter déjà vu. Casting the thought away Dahlia pushed the girl and scrambled to get to her feet.

The girl had short black hair cut above her ears and her lips formed a scowl.

"What are you doing here? Who are you? Where are you taking them?"

June stepped forward. "Laurie, these are friends of Lana's."

"Lana's friends? You're from the academy?"

"Yes, now Miss Troll, if you would let us pass, we're going to go save your friends, sound good?" Roxy said, pushing past the girl.

As they walked the girl followed them. "I'm Laurel, by the way," She said to Dahlia. "Sorry for, you know, attacking you."

Dahlia sighed. "I should be used to it by now."

"I want to come with you," Laurel said.

"We just can't take you," Dahlia said, "You need to go back to the village."

"Says who?"

"Me."

"What village are you from anyway?"

"I don't know." Dahlia replied. She didn't want to tell Laurel about the soul's world. Dahlia just needed to get her friends away from the academy.

"Is Lana coming back next year?"

"I don't know." Dahlia said again.

"Who are you going to save anyway?"

"I don't know."

"Save them from what?"

"I don't know." Dahlia said for what felt like the thousandth time.

"Are we just going to storm in? Do you need anything?"

"Some peace would be nice, you know?"

Lynn

Lynn awoke to the sound of her stomach rumbling. Mishal and Lynn were in the same spot they had been last night. The GloBals hadn't found them yet. Lynn felt an unsettling feeling settle into the pit of her stomach. Something felt wrong. Very wrong.

Lynn stood up feeling drowsy.

"Mishal." Lynn called, kicking her with her foot. "Mishal, get up."

Mishal got up, throwing Lynn a nasty look.

"What is it?" Mishal asked.

"We have to go."

"Where?" Mishal laughed.

"Somewhere." Lynn continued half-heartedly, "We can't just stay here."