twenty three

"Hayley, I know being your mother, this sounds awful, but.... can we start fresh?
I still need to travel for work, but other than that, can we please make time for each other?" She asked.

"I would love that" I smiled.

"I'm sorry I didn't do this earlier, its just that....when you were little, you and your dad just had so much in common, and when I came back from my work trips, you'd just changed so much.... And now you just remind me of him." She finished. If she was being honest, that was something I never knew.

A small part of me felt like she didn't really mean this. Or at least it wouldn't last for long, but unfortunately, another part of me was filled with hope.

That night, Scarlett came to the hospital and we hung out for a while.
We watched a movie and just talked after what felt like a really long time.

These days, we'd only hang out with the rest of the group, but I really enjoyed just the two of us together, like old times.

******
The next couple days, were pretty much the same, other than the fact that I'd got my Xray done, and by Wednesday, I'd finally got used to the gloominess of the hospital wing.

As Thursday came, I began to get anxious. That morning, I was supposed to get my report of the check up and Xray.

"Hello Hayley, Laura," The doctor said entering the room. She looked as put together as ever, with her long blazer and pencil skirt, and 6 inch heels.

"How are you feeling today?" She asked.

"Alright..." I said, yet again confused about what else I could've possibly said.

"Okay, let's get right into it. You won't need surgery" she said.

I let out a long breath as a sense of relief flooded through me.

"However, you are still is pretty badly injured..."

My mom stood up and patted here down.

"I'm Just going to cut to the chase here,
she's gonna be here for at least two weeks, we'll make sure her head injury doesn't get worse, and your rib needs some time to heel,"  she said to my mom and then turned to me,
"and its just better to monitor you for a while." She smiled.

"Most of the cost will be covered by insurance, you're gonna be fine, we just want to make sure nothing goes wrong, any questions?"

"Umm, how long before my leg heals? Like completely." I asked hopefully.

"We can't say for sure, could be 3 months, could be more, it depends on a lot of things, but don't have your expectations too high." She said making me restless all over again.

"When will I be able to maybe work out?" I asked.
Working out was one of the few things that kept me sane.

"Oh well, Hayley, thats going to take a while now. You'll ease into it slowly but you did injure your lungs as well," She said thoughtlessly.

I just wanted to get out of my bed and run away. I wanted to run.

I clenched my jaw and twisted the ring on my finger harshly.

The doctor walked out of the room after saying goodbye and that that moment, although I knew how unfair it was, I hated the doctor with every bone in my body.

Everything seemed to annoy me and I was exreanly uncomfortable.

My mom stayed with me until lunch, and left after I fell asleep at about 2 o'clock.

***

I woke up that evening with my head pounding.
It felt heavy and I was exhausted.
Even though I didn't expect to see my mom there, it dissappointed me that she wasn't. The numb feeling was finally leaving my body after 3 days, and was turning to soarness and fatigue.